Need help landing in windy conditions(B737)

Hey guys, I usually dont fly the 737 and I attempted to land the B738 at KDEN in 17kts crosswinds. I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or videos that can help me land this thing? I usually fly bigger planes like the 787 and 777.

My biggest issue is how to touchdown without a tailstrike while swaying back and forth because of the wind.

Always use your rudder to control the plane.

1 Like

I never use rudder on the 787 or 777 until I am touching down and need to align.Pretty much land dead center or a little off. So this isnt the case in the 737?

There’s really not much to it. Since you usually fly bigger planes you got to understand that your landing speeds will be a bit slower than your usual 777, but everything else should be kept the same with rudder usage.

1 Like

what about flap usage in relation to wind conditions?

Use less flaps(25 degrees instead of the normal 30 or 40) and come in at a higher speed

6 Likes

Flaps 25 will do as you won’t want too much drag on final

3 Likes

Like I just said above. Kinda pointless to resay the point

2 Likes

ok, I know that there is a certain speed I should be moving at for different flap settings but when you take into consideration the severity of the crosswind, should I be coming at a different speed than suggested?

1 Like

Sounds like your over flaring… Flare at 15 to 20 ft and around 30% throttle (or else you’ll slam down hard)

2 Likes

Thats something else I didnt know about because I usually cut the throttle on the 777 and 787 and the aircraft glides right in smoothly. Usually when i am close to the ground.

1 Like

Yeah. Ex. If you are flying into KLAX and the winds are 280@20, and come in normal at 140 with flaps 30, then you can want to take half of 20…which is 10 and then add that to 140 which would be 150 with flaps 25.

3 Likes

Yea that’s the tail heavy 737 for you

1 Like

got ya! okay, thanks for the help guys if anyone else has any more tips, I’d greatly appreciate it. Im going to go practice.

3 Likes

Let me know how that works. That has always helped me and somewhat close to RL

2 Likes

I typing when you posted

2 Likes

The heavies dont need rudder input before touchdown as they are more stable in crosswinds. But for a320 and 737 or smaller aircraft. You need to put enough rudder so that your aircraft is straight on the runway before touchdown. And hold this rudder input till you slow down below enough. At Qatar VA. We teach our pilots this technique in training sessions and often practice in high crosswinds

1 Like

Try to do like him :

It “may” help you ;-)

Jk

5 Likes

Lmfao cool video but I don’t think it’s much help

1 Like

I’m just kidding ;-)

3 Likes