Need help finding a diversion

Hello everyone currently In My Sri Lankan A330 coming from Colombia to London Heathrow but unfortunately I’ve hit some strong head winds 124 Knots to be exact. I had brought 3 hrs of extra fuel for taxi times and head winds but I hadn’t calculated that strong so my current status is about. 6:00 hrs till I reach EGLL and 5:28 hrs fuel.

Any ideas on a good airport fo a diversion?

2 Likes

what attitude are u at?

1 Like

You have 2 options;

1. Fly at a different altitude. Check Windy.com and look at the winds to see where there’s calmer winds by moving the altitude scroller on the right.

2. Divert. I recommend you divert to Frankfurt or Zurich.

4 Likes

Also, don’t worry. The wind you’re experiencing is only on this leg of the flight. You might experience tailwinds which would take you to your destination quicker. I recommend you continue your flight as usual. Only later at the last hour or so see if you’re able to reach your destination, if not, then divert.

2 Likes

Are you coming from Colombia or Colombo? Colombo is a major city in Sri Lanka so your livery choice probably makes more sense thus why I’m asking. Regardless, if you confirm your origin it will help us tremendously in giving you the best information as Colombia and Colombo are on two different faces of the planet.

3 Likes

What would also help is this, tell us where you are right now and your altitude and speed?

2 Likes

I’m guessing you’re over here?

If so, I would recommend just pushing through it, the winds are a bit calmer at FL340, or, if you are still concerned, fly north towards to Caspian Sea (near Baku) and then west towards Istanbul, and then continue on course to EGLL, but since it’s FNF, it might be a busy airspace, so I’d recommend flying into one of the other airports such as Manchester or Gatwick.

2 Likes

I’d say just keep going. If need be climb up to a higher altitude. The winds tend to be slightly calmer up there.

1 Like

Slightly Incorrect.

He has just entered Turkish Airspace, and heading towards the Black Sea at FL310, and should’ve passed the most turbulent part of the flight. Soon enough he should climb up to FL330 or FL350, and the remainder of the flight should be smoother, ultimately leading to less fuel consumption on the aircraft’s part.

And since his flight will most likely fly past Frankfurt and Amsterdam—Schiphol, those two are excellent diversion choices along the way.

4 Likes

Yes, but I’m real world aviation, it would be better to divert to a UK airport, since it would cost a lot less to remedy the diversion.

2 Likes

If it’s an emergency, then it’s an emergency. I understand we should take realism to a certain extend but if you only have fuel enough to make it to Amsterdam then I wouldn’t push it any further to Manchester.

In the end this is Infinite Flight. A Simulation and not reality, things will go differently and even IRL planes do divert to nearest possible airport if really is needed despite the economic cost of doing so, because sometimes the airline has to put human life ahead of business even if it will hurt cash flow.

If his fuel tanks allow for it, then divert to Gatwick if needed. Seems like the airport is currently deserted, while Manchester is getting busier by the minute.

1 Like

Sweet thanks everyone for replying probably should’ve been more patient. Currently have 3 hrs left and 4hrs fuel remaing thanks to all you guys.

Safe flying

1 Like

Yeah sorry just realized I’d spelt that wrong oops

You’ll make it fine. Remember to step climb and check Windy for weather information regarding your filed FPL and Altitude :)

Have a Safe Flight to London ✈️

2 Likes

Yeah. In general your situation isn’t all that worrisome. Over 6 hours of flight time you’ll burn a significant amount of fuel, reducing your weight, q which would definitely push your fuel remaining time back up above your ETE. Additionally, considering that you probably wouldn’t face 124 kt headwinds the whole time you can assume that your actual ETA is probably less than 6 hours. And due to these circumstances it’s probably smarter for you to just wait it out and leave the decision to divert until you get closer and get a better picture of your fuel situation, especially considering how many good diversion airports there are along your route. Cheers!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.