Need help descending and landing

I also have been playing the game for a year now and I’m finally grade 5! Well… 1 hour of flying experience away but I have a weird way of descending, I completely reduce my speed, disengage autopilot then I sort of tilt the aircraft in a kind of nose dive position, well not nose dive but I tilt it in an unusual way, then if I think I’m descending to fast I put my flaps up, and i reduce my speed until I almost stall, in other words I don’t really know how to properly descend but I also use autopilot rarely

1 Like

Here’s the number I use, they work for me. For cruising altitudes in between I just estimate

When at 10,000 descend at 35nm away
When at 12,000 descend at 40-45nm away
When at 15,000 descend at 55 nm away
When at 20,000 descend at 75-80 nm away
When at 30,000 descend at 105 nm away

4 Likes

At about 30nm away, I put on full flaps, armed spoilers, and descend. If I’m in a jumbo jet, I wait for 35nm then put flight spoilers, full flaps, and I have to put landing gear down.

In general During descent above 10,000, there shouldn’t be any flaps nor should landing gear be down

1 Like

When I’m at 10000 I usually start descend about 25 nm out at -2500 fpm

Some of these posts explain why I have to put pilots in a hold so close to the airport.

6 Likes

From FL200, I go from 280 knots airspeed to 250 at 75Nm away and start decent at -1800ft/m. Under 10,000ft I do a decent of -1500ft/m. Do that until 6000ft and Judge when to descend to 2500 ft. From there begin your slow down to landing speed. Putting the flaps out at lower levels. By 1000ft you should have gear flaps and spoilers all at landing point.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing

I didn’t see one informative response in this entire topic 😔

3 Likes

Use the rule of 3’s
3deg glide slope is standard so for a 10,000 foot decent start it at 30 NM out 20,000 60 NM. 30,000 90 NM. I typically slow down to about 230 ish IAS decent rate at about 1700 feet per minute as you get closer to the ground you will need to adjust this to less and less as your ground speed will decrease as you loose altitude. When you’re on the ILS your decent rate will be about 500 feet per minute with an IAS of 190 or less, 5 miles out start configuring for landing. Flaps gear ect. All altitudes are an AGL reffrence from the destination airport not MSL. Really your speed and decent rate doesn’t matter as long as you hit the marks shown.

8 Likes

You should also go on YouTube & check out Infinite Flight’s channel. Best of luck!

1 Like

David is be the best one who can tell you all about ur flight questions. @David_Lockwood

1 Like

That’s not really a great way to land

I use the below table as Guide to help descending from cruising altitude for landing, including distance to go ( DTG), speed to select etc.

Can help further within our training team

2 Likes

Lets make it simple

VS For Decent (20.000 - 0 NM) :
This phase ends when you have entered the localizer (10 NM from your destination) as you have to descend your airspeed and flaps to land.

I always descend for 2000 feet (VS : 2000 /1.700) per 5NM. So, in case you cruise at 10.000 feet, you must start descend at 25 NM (Remember VS : 2000 /1.700). With this system, you are going to establish on the localizer at 4.000 feet. You can descend earlier if you want to be in 3.000 feet on the localizer.

Example :
If you think its too steep for the descent, you can descent for 1.000 feet (1.000) per 5 NM. Then in case you cruise at 10.000 feet, you must start descend at 50 NM.

Airspeed For Descent (20.000 - 0 Feet) :
This phase ends when you have entered the localizer (10 NM from your destination) as you have to descend your airspeed and flaps to land.

B77W : 255 - 245 Knots
B738/9 : 225 - 235 Knots
A380 : 190 - 220 Knots
A333 : 180 Knots

I’ll make the tutorial video if there are still many pilots cant figure out about this

1 Like

good comment, I find the earlier table above is useful as a ‘rule of thumb’, to help out new pilots. I have a copy laminated at home so can have by me when flying. Naturally its not fully correct 100% of the time for all the aircraft, but is sufficient to ensure you have a fairly smooth descent as well as able to help out ATC with spacing and speed etc.

1 Like

Here my english is not the best

DME distance for the start of the descent (Distance to Descent) - at a sink rate of 1,000 FPM and a speed of 200 KIAS: from the height to be dropped, the last three zeros), times 3, plus 10 , For example, from FL 230 to 4,000 ft (altitude of the initial approach IAF), ie 19,000 ft. 19 x 3 s 57 NM; 57 10 67 NM before starting the IAP. Invoice very coarse (the change to QNH at the transition Leve was also not taken), but equipped with a small security mudguard.

My method:

Ever heard of combat landings? :P

Ola mano eu posso te ajuda com esse tipo de coisa me passa seu whatsapp que eu te ajudo te do um pequeno tutorial pra você pousa certinho no aeroporto que você quiser.