Nearly Catastrophic Moments on Infinite Flight

i’ll start, a few days ago i was flying from Casablanca in Morocco to Auckland NZ. In a 788… with possibly one of the longest routes it can technically fly on infinite flight. When inbound i noticed that uh i was an hour of fuel short so i did what any reasonable person would do in that situation. I shut down engine one which bought me just enough fuel for me to make it into auckland. but little did i know, auckland atc was online that day (i reall didn’t know). so i contacted auckland approach delaring minimum fuel, approach controller was very helpful and gave me vectors basically direct to the localizer. but when i was on final, tower controller lined up and waited someone for takeoff causing me to go around (i was emergency fuel already wat that point with 12 mins of fuel left). I know i should cut the tower controller some slack since auckland was a one runway airport. anwyays, the other guy that was on takeoff roll got a reject takeoff but took off anyways and disappeared a few seconds later iykyk rip to that guy. luckily approach gave me a very short final and i later did a very rough visual on runway 23L. so everything basically turned out fine but would’ve really sucked if a 23 hour flight ended with me crashing into the pacific ocean. what are some of you guys’ near death experience stories on IF?

6 Likes

I once flew EGLL-KJFK on the virgin atlantic a330 and forgot to pack enough fuel. When I was just a few miles away from the localize my fuel was already under 500 kg and when I was at 2000 feet fuel drained completely. I was completely shocked when I saw that I was about get out of fuel so I climbed up to 5000 feet and accelerated to 170 knots with my last fuel. I glided to runway 22L and touched down at 140 knots. If I hadn’t climbed and accelerated I would have probably stalled short of the runway. With my last few knots I taxied to the exit and stopped there. That flight was a flight I will never forget.

10 Likes

Not much like that has happened in my five years on the simulator.

The closest thing I can recall recently was almost overrunning at KATL in an A330NEO. I think I just touched down too far down the runway because nothing was off-kilter.

I mainly fly US domestic flights, so fuel exhaustion is very seldom a concern for me.

5 Likes

Every time I do a range test it’s a near catastrophic moment. Probably the most tense was the end of my 158 hour nonstop where the only choice I had was to let the plane run out of fuel and gently belly land on the ocean. I had tested it before with only successful outcomes in various conditions, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous.

7 Likes

wow, the dedication required for that

2 Likes

I don’t know if that’s dedication, I just let it sit for a week and changed a couple flight parameters every 10 hours or so. My device strong.

2 Likes

the dedication to not use your phone/tablet for that long is impressive according to my standards

3 Likes

Ah, it’s my second device and I never really use it for anything other than notetaking anyways (I just swapped to my laptop for a week).

3 Likes

Gusty winds for takeoff, light aircraft (a319), and just when I had taken off the wind changed and… my nose fell straight to the ground.😭😭

4 Likes

Similar and not too similar case happened with me. So basically what happened was I took off from Beijing and went on a direct flight to Sao Paolo with stopever in Lima (yea I took the pacific route.) I took about 18hrs of fuel but little did I know that the entire American continent will be giving me headwind so yea I was 15 miles out from Lima and I was below 2kg of fuel and basically at that point I shut down the 777’s N2 engine and while on approach I saw that another aircraft is landing on Lima and I thought he will be taking the longer route to land on the opposite end of the runway but that ofc didnt happen repeatedly after I gave a callout that I have emergency fuel and maybe he understood so he made a go around and I was able to land on the barest of margin.

3 Likes

Respect to you and the pilot of the other plane. Very professional

3 Likes

here’s the screenshot of the flight off of LiveFlight

5 Likes

I think the other way around would have been easier no?

2 Likes

I’ve pulled up to the gate with just hundreds of pounds of fuel in so many different aircraft before. It was fun to me. Today I had a 600FT separation or so with a 757 departing LAX while I was on right crosswind 24R about to enter the downwind.

2 Likes

So this aircraft is good for such long flights in your eyes? I sort of refuse to fly the 787 because it feels like an A330 at times.

1 Like

Happened more recently. I was in a group flight to KATL but I forgot to add more fuel since I departed immediately after completing another flight. I was in an MD11F so I switched off engine 2 and managed to make it, running out of fuel just as I was pulling into the stand.

A more older case was when I did one of my first long haul a very long time ago and didn’t know about step climbing. I just set the AP to FL380 with a high VS while I was way too heavy and entered coffin corner…needless to say I was a little upset when I woke up to a CRASHED screen.

1 Like

My near catastrophic in IF flight is running out of fuel at high ALT I was at 37000 feet above ground.So,I quickly dive to the ground but the crosswinds are very strong.I almost hit a mountain.My landing gear barely touch the mountain.Before I landing,I realize I’m just way to fast,it is 220 knots.I put the flaps to the max,speed brakes armed,parking brake ready and auto brakes med.My landing was bad because my plane way too fast.I put the auto brakes to max after touch the ground.You know,the reverse thrust doesn’t work when the plane rus out of fuel.I’m overshoot the runway,but the plane manage to survive.After that,my heart was pounding afted stop.But that was my scariest and the best experience in IF.In that time,I was 11 or 12 years old.Today I’m 13.

4 Likes

I’ve been very unlucky with other aircraft, on at least four occasions that I can think of I almost hit people mid air. these stories range from months ago to years ago so I might not remember the route and stuff

1: Was flying on a westbound Atlantic track one day In an a330, and just above 500 feet above me passed a 777 going the opposite direction! If I hadn’t descended I would’ve slammed right into him! He put in the westbound track backwards, waypoint by waypoint for some reason which is why he was going the wrong way.

2: Departure from jfk, I was super heavy, and a 777 departed behind me- he didn’t wait for me to be gone, he departed and flew straight into me….

3: I once ran out of fuel over Georgia on a delta a319 after forgetting to fuel up… didn’t help that I was afk :(

4: Approach into Auckland the other day, a 777 literally crossed right in front of me on final…

2 Likes

It isn’t. Loaded up with standard load you’re looking like 18 hours tops. Better take a 77L which can do 30 hours with standard load or 26 with full passengers and cargo. If you’re looking to carry load over distance 777s are king.

2 Likes

i was pretty tired of flying the 350 and the 777s and wanted to try something different in the hopes of testing the range of the aircraft, i had zero pax and load and full fuel.

2 Likes