Nearly Blind ATC Playground Controllers

It is getting absolutely ridiculous to have another plane simultaneously taking off or landing on the runway l have already been cleared for…l would think as high as those ivory towers you are in are…you could still see something that obvious… and then there are those planes cutting ahead of me in line when I am taxiing to the runway…that has even happened twice on the advanced server as well…l think its time to at least increase the XP participation level or else patch a connection to the Hubble Telescope so the controllers can see the runways better…

3 Likes

While I completely understand your post. I need to know a little more. Are both you cleared to depart and a flight landing at the same time (poor ATC skills from controller)? Or, is a pilot ignoring ATC instruction?

1 Like

l am either taking off or landing after being cleared by the tower controller…and somehow another plane either takes off or lands next to me on the same runway …and no ATC ever comments or chastises… occasionally l hear …blank blank you are not cleared to take that runway…or something like …next time I will try to get a snapshot if I can get it in time before I almost crash from being distracted

I’ve been an ATC in the playground, a great number of times. I’ve given those exact warnings you described. I can understand your frustration with pilots either not understanding the instruction (possible language barrier) and/or just ignoring us ATCs. I’ve learned that if a pilot is already ignoring ATC, there isn’t much point to sending a warning. They’ll just ignore that too. I have spoken with a moderator on this site. The “ATC Playground” is a place where we all practice and is free of the “ghosting” protocol of the “Advanced Server”. My suggestion is to report the pilot for failure to comply with ATC. I believe it takes three reports for auto-ghosting. Let’s fly the friendly skies :smile:

I respect your opinion…but l think you will find that if the minimum XP participation level was increased to 50K …then a newbie who was graduating from the free flight server after learning enough to reach that level…would have more respect for the ATC guidelines…and real world scenarios…as well as the controllers …if the pilot can’t handle that extra element…then they need to go back to the free flight server until they get enough experience… sweeping it under the rug is not the answer…

1 Like

50k is too much, not even that high on advanced. also I wonder about the effectiveness of the free flight server, with no violations the new players might not learn proper flying etiquette. And then they get enough xp for playground server and they come in and fly like they did on freeflight .

2 Likes

Anyone can be a controller on the playground. People who just downloaded IF. They may not even know how to fly yet. You will find all kinds of variation.

The safe bet is to fly on the advanced server if you qualify.

3 Likes

Excuse me …but when the highest XP holder …on the leaderboard …with the moniker …Kuwait… is now past 1 mil Total XP …that is a very reasonable minimum level …or else the whole XP concept is meaningless

3 Likes

l more than qualify for the advanced server…or even the expert server if they brought that back…but that is not the point…the advanced server hardly ever …except for special events… has the number of full airport controllers… ground , tower , apr/dep, and center as the playground …so you will very rarely have the total real world flying experience that actually is involved…so bring the advanced min level to 100K…you can reach 50K easily in two weeks or less if you have a modicum of diligence. l was one of the original beta testers…so I know…you should be proud of yourself as you increase your XP…and become more proficient as a pilot…but that will only be true if you regard IF as a sim and not a game…I choose the former…

1 Like

(@Recxx) (@SirMS)(@Dan_Steel). Strongly agree with Recxx, see my multiple posts on “The small stick” for Playground Controllers, it’s the inclusion of the “Return to Parking” option for violators. My Post today “The Perils of Dysoe-Q” also highlight errors or omission on the advanced. Wanna observe repeat violations by high XP’s sit and watch the taxiway line up at the Princess in the Carib. Never an orderly flow as the high number guys bypass the yellow lines, drive on the apron bypass the lineup and zoom to the front of the line where the Controlled on both the Advance and Playground put them to the front of the pack while everybody else who play by the rule sits there with there hand on the butt. The “return to parking” little stick will get there attention. Max Sends

2 Likes

Not for nothing, but, a few of the pilots that ignored the ATC instruction I provided were well over 50k. At some point, I’d even say some pilots just use the playground to do as they wish. All in all, this is a flight simulator that is a game. We all pay a yearly fee. We do need more ATC, I agree 100#. Our fine developers and admin staff are working toward a proper test to see if people are qualified to be ATCs. I don’t believe any of us would be very happy if an ATC was on an Advanced or Expert Server with little, or no, knowledge.

1 Like

Circular Logic. “you can’t get there from here”! We all recognize the problem at some point the “hard decision” must be made! In the interim, , send them to PARKING!

I do too. I enjoy getting better - learning and teaching. You are right, there are not yet many qualified controllers on the advanced server. We can choose to look at that as a negative, or you can look at it as a positive. How a positive?

ATC is very new. We are starting from zero. The team is being careful only to give people access that can do the job. If we gave everyone access it would be the playground with a different name. A few of us were with @Tyler_Shelton testing someone today. In time the number will grow, and grow the right way.

This is a journey - a progression. It is getting better every single day.

If you want a bunch of controllers, the playground is the place. For now, the trade-off skill level. Over time that trade-off will diminish.

And the playground will continue to be a place for people to learn how to do the job so they can progress to the advanced server. Of course, there will always be some that just goof off and not take it seriously. That’s unfortunate.

We had a blast this morning. The Caribbean was stuffed full of great controllers on the advanced server. I hope you got to join us. People waited, sometimes, thirty minutes for take-off…but they were patient and we all enjoyed it. Talk about real world! DELAYS! :smile:

2 Likes

Ok well I’m at about 30k xp and I would not consider myself a “newbie”, I know more than enough to “respect the ATC guidelines”. (Relatively) low XP doesn’t necessarily mean not caring about the rules.

One of the reasons this is happening is becuase most of the time there is two ground controllers and two tower controllers and they dont talk or cordinate one just spams you warning messages while your on the other tower frequency they should make 1 tower on atc playground

To quote @Bryan_Gainey : “You lost me at playground”

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

People may not care about what ATC says and just want to fly. Some don’t favor realism and may think ATC is just a pain in the a$$.

Sorry for the pessimistic view.

Best, Boeing707