NE, SE, NW, SW Direction Additions

Hey IFC!

Currently in the game, we have straight out, north, east, south, west as far as directions go when it comes for requesting departure. But, a lot of flight plans don’t go in those main directions.

For example, if my flight plan takes me in the direction in between North and East, which direction do I say I’m departing from?

Here’s where this comes in handy, you can chose that you’ll be departing to the North East or Southwest etc. It makes it a lot easier to say which direction you’ll be departing to and removes stress on trying to choose which direction to say you’ll be departing too. Plus, it would be easy to add! Just add the Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest, directions into the direction tab!

If you like this, please drop a vote and correct me of any mistakes I may have made. 🙂

Thank you!

-AviationFreak

Not exactly how it works, but the idea is fantastic and would definitely be nice to have. I’ll be sure to bookmark this and vote if it becomes popular :)

4 Likes

Thank you Anyway :D

3 Likes

Absolutely! It’s been bookmarked and I’ll be keeping my eye on this!

3 Likes

Despite this being very small I love the idea. Nice request!

5 Likes

Thank you! I’m actually surprised it hasn’t been requested before…

1 Like

Nice request but I feel like it would be sort of unnecessary. Every departure sways to the north, south, east, or west. The main reason why pilots inform controllers and pilots of their departure direction is for separation. For example, ATC wouldn’t want an aircraft to turn west after departing runway 1R and interfere with departures from runway 1L.

If there’s any stress on the pilot side, just choose the direction that ATC would most like to know about (i.e. west when departing runway 1R instead of north.

Does anyone know if these additional directions are used in real life?

1 Like

Absolutely used in real life. I ask for either a south east or south west departure from my home airport each flight, due to terrain.

3 Likes

In that case, I take it back. It would be a great addition for realism’s sake!

3 Likes

Thank you! vote if you can :) it really appreciated

2 Likes

You’d use North.

3 Likes

I think this would really help a lot!
Great request!

1 Like

Thank you sir.

2 Likes

But adding this feature would be easier

1 Like

When looking at which direction you will pick, do you look at the actual tower airspace or the first part of the FPL? If you look at the airspace, it’s really not very hard to choose which direction would be best.

The main direction the FPL will take me, but if I have a SID that takes me mostly in one direction for awhile, I’ll use the correspond direction.
Yes but if that direction goes in between like North and West, what would you say?
I find it happens quite often with me

Me trying to figure out what direction i’m departing

8 Likes

But yes, this would be very nice to have in the game!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

You’re telling ATC which way you’ll depart their airspace. Not which direction your destination is in. If the direction you’re departing may interfere with an arrival/departure, choose that direction. Otherwise, it really doesn’t matter.

1 Like