NathanD’s ATC Tracking Thread - [OPEN] @ OMBD

I have decided to open an ATC tracking thread at KIAD you can tell me if it is to small and I’ll switch to another airport
Notams: no intersecting departures

1 Like

If you are practicing for IFATC I’d recommend using an airport with parallel runways

Ok I will reopen in a bit a use KIAD

OK a couple things

1. If you want someone to stay at the gate “Hold Position” should be your go to
  2. Don’t give pushback/ taxi clearance to two aircraft right next to each other allow one to pushback/ taxi and let the other one wait by using the “Hold Position”
  3. No need for a small Cessna 208 to back taxi on a 2 mile long RWY unless you wanted no intersection departures which you might want to say next time up in your topic
  4. No need to say enter the pattern at right downwind or whatever every-time just tell me the sequence or clear me
  5. Let the pilots fly, no need to call my base and if you need to use the “Turn base” say that rather than telling me to enter the base and then enter the final
  6. Only once gave me clearance for the option/ land and when you did you also gave me the wrong number, I was number 1 and N776DL was number 2 so I am not sure where #3 came in
  7. Exit RWY instructions would also be nice in busy situations it’s not always possible but when there is only 1 aircraft in the pattern and 1 that just landed Exit instructions should not be hard to relay to the pilot

A lot of room for improvement but keep practicing.

Ok I’m opening now in Washington DC at KIAD now and I will take all of your suggestions thanks for participating and I hope to see you again

1 Like

Hello
I was CG004.
I have three things to say,

1. I was doing my pushback, I stopped on the taxiway to turn my engine on, but you gave me already a taxi clearance when I wasn’t even ready.

2. When I took off and I was airborne, you didn’t gave me a sequence but I was behind someone so you should have done that.

3. When I was on downwind and final I was reporting my position. Not so you knew where I was but that you don’t forgot me because you didn’t cleared me for the option !

So I’m suggesting that you’ll read the ATC manual because there is a lot of usefull information in there.

1 Like

Hello, I was N776DL… theres definitely alot of stuff to work on

• Ground control was good

• take off was good

• never got a sequence, if there is more then one plane landing on a rwy, the second or subsequent planes need a sequence so they know who they are following

• Never received a clearance to land or for the option when I was doing my patterns… that’s why I kept calling go around

• You were definitely “over controlling” when it wasn’t necessary…

• The “I’ll call your base” wasnt needed, that command is only used for creating separation for when you have to gets off for departure

• The “maintain slowest practical speed” was also unnecessary, that’s used for maintaining separation, but there were no other planes in the pattern or inbound when you gave it to me

• On that note, the “speed at your discretion” was unnecessary as there was no one else flying… you have to trust your pilots to fly their pattern the right way

• After someone requests departure its appropriate to then immediately send them a change frequency command

• Transition altitude was to low, for transition altitude is always 2500ft plus the airport elevation…

• Every plane should get an exit runway command once the reach below 70knts… or atleast a contact ground once they turn on the taxiway

Remember

• For remaining in the pattern (EVERY TIME)- after takeoff, give a sequence IF NEEDED, Then give a clearance for the option EVERY TIME
  • if someone Is coming from outside your airspace to land- give a pattern entry, sequence if needed, then give a clearance to land
  • if remaining in the pattern and they request a RWY change OR comming from outside your airspace for a touch and go- ALWAYS give a pattern entry for the new RWY. Then IF NEEDED give a sequence. Then ALWAYS give a clearance for option making left or right traffic

OVERALL
Theres alot of stuff to work on, I recommend watching the ATC vids for IFATC on YouTube, read the ATC manual made by Tyler, and I also recommend going to other members ATC tracking threads… Keep practicing :)

2 Likes

I just flew for you. Heard some good stuff and great controlling, bit also heard a few errors, which other pilots already commented on.

Transition altitude was correct at 3000 feet.

What I missed the most were the pattern entry instructions. In particular 3 and 4 of the list below.

When I requested a runway change I received unable. With myself and one other aircraft in the pattern that’s a ‘no no’. With myself and the other aircraft both going to the same runway, you could have practiced seqencing, which is probably the biggest skills Tower needs to learn.

Have you watched the IFATC tutorials on YouTube? You will see ‘golden rules’ applied in the IFATC tutorial videos on YouTube. Check out these video’s. You’ll learn a lot!

Here are my Golden Rules for trainee ATCs:

1. Watch aircrafts on your platform. Good Ground control is important. Use hold position and give way instructions. Give way instructions are sometimes given before a taxi instruction.
  2. Understand the concept of the Pattern. Know your departure, crosswind, downwind, base and final legs.
  3. every new inbound always first gets a pattern entry instruction, to inform the pilot how he should approach
  4. Every runway change always first gets a pattern entry instruction
  5. sequencing is your friend ”. Very important. It is used to tell pilots who to follow.Re-sequence if this helps to provide clarity. Extend downwind, I’ll call your base, and speed instructions are not meant for sequencing. Use sequence instructions, as many and as often as is needed.
  6. Use I’ll call your base, to delay the base turn of an inbound aircraft. Apply this to create space to allow outbound aircrafts to depart, or to avoid clashes with other aircrafts.
  7. aircrafts remaining in the pattern get a touch and go with an exit turn direction. This is needed only once. After this, the pilot will assume the same exit direction (number 1, cleared for the option, after the option make left traffic).
  8. Timely clearance for landing or for the option
  9. landed aircrafts all get a runway exit instruction . Know your exit procedures
  10. an inbound aircraft only gets one (1) landing/option clearance.

Send me a direct message if you have any queries.

3 Likes

Ok we still a have a couple of things but still better

1. Use Give way commands rather than telling CG004 taxi instructions when he hasn’t even told you ready to taxi
  2. (This one is more on preference and traffic situations) When you gave me take off clearance you could’ve to CG004 to line up and wait, this one is not required its just good practice for when your airspace is busy
  3. Gave no sequencing 99% of the time (This is a big one for IFATC)
  4. Still no clearance for the option and or landing (I think that is the reason CG004 kept repeating inbound for touch and go)
  5. Whenever an aircraft changes RWY they need a new pattern entry you did not give me one
  6. Once again no Exit instructions when you have very little traffic it shouldn’t be that hard

Still along road ahead of you I suggest reviewing the ATC manual and the helpful Youtube videos. I hope you improve in the future.

3 Likes

Yeah, that was why.

2 Likes

Please set the title to [CLOSED]

1 Like

Sorry about that forgot