My visit in the “Flugwerft Oberschleißheim” (Part 1)

My visit in the “Flugwerft Oberschleißheim”

Hello everyone and welcome to this topic !
Yesterday, I visited the Flugwerft Oberschleißheim, which is basically a museum with old aircraft near Munich again. I took some great shots and want to share them with you now.

The good old days - Cessna 195

When I entered the Flugwerft I directly saw this cool retro Cessna 195. I don’t only like the look of it, the sound is awesome, too as it uses a Jacobs R-755 engine. Sadly, I didn’t get to hear it.
The Cessna 195 was a light personal and business aircraft which was built from 1947-1954.

The bored guy - self-made aircraft

Fun story:
A man who really loves aircraft decided to build his own aircraft. The constitution period was 22 years ! After such he a long time, he flew his aircraft only once for 1 hour. After he landed, he told it was safe and fun to fly but his wife was so scared that she denied him to fly with it again.

The smart family - DOWA 81

The Wagner family of five (children aged 17, 16 and 6) intended to escape from East Germany with this aircraft in 1981. The aircraft was never flown because the family was arrested the day before they planned to take off. They were convicted of “Blatant preparation of an illegal border crossing” and received jail sentences. After intercession by Austrian politicians, the family was deported to West Germany after one year in prison.

In the court proceedings, the East German Aviation Inspectorate confirmed the aircraft’s airworthiness. The actual flight over the inner-German border to Hof was to have been preceded by a test flight without passengers. It was to have taken off from the shut-down Nonnewitz brown coal open strip mine near Leipzig.

Due to the obvious secrecy necessary, only readily available materials were used in construction. The largest section is just four meters long. This made it possible to transport the aircraft to the take-off site in the car trailer. The East German Ministry of National Security impounded the aircraft as part of their “Traditional Cabinet” in 1981. In 1990, it was shown as part of the exhibit “Escape Vehicles” in the “Museum für Deutsche Geschichte” in Berlin and then returned to the designer.

Eyes in the skies - Fieseler Fi 156 Storch

The Fieseler Storch is a German reconnaissance aircraft which was build before, during and after WW2. Due to its light weight and its huge wings it is capable of taking off very fast and flying very slowly.

The flying car engine - MBB 223 Flamingo

The MBB 223 Flamingo was a light aircraft developed in West Germany in the 1960s in response to a competition for a standard trainer for the country’s aeroclubs. Designed by SIAT, it was a conventional low-wing monoplane with fixed tricycle undercarriage. The cockpit was enclosed by a large bubble canopy. It used a Porsche Boxtee engine which is also used in the Porsche 718, 911 etc.
Here you can see it in a fresh Porsche livery.

The fun aircraft - Silence Twister

The Silence Twister is a German ultralight designed by Silence Aircraft for amateur construction, either from plans or kits.The prototype first flew on 30 September 2000. The livery reminds me of the Big Beautiful Doll livery on the P-51D Mustang.

DDR trainer - Yakovlev Yak-50

The Yakovlev Yak-50 aerobatic aircraft is a single-seat all-metal low-wing monoplane with retractable main wheels and exposed tail wheel. The control surfaces are fabric-covered to save weight. The aircraft is not equipped with flaps.
The DDR used it as a trainer aircraft.

The flying wing - Horten H. IV

The Horten H.IV was a German tailless flying wing glider in which the pilot was to lie in a prone position to reduce the frontal area, and hence drag. It was designed by Reimar and Walter Horten in Göttingen. Four were built between 1941 and 1943. They were flown in a number of unofficial competitions in Germany during World War II. After the war the flying examples were transported to the United Kingdom and the United States where several contest successes were achieved.
I really have to say that I love all Horten aircraft as they all look so different from all other aircraft.
It had a huge wingspan and the position in which the pilot had to lie looked so cool.

That was all for Part 1. Part 2 is following soon with some more surprises !
Feel free to ask questions or give me your feedback.

Thanks for visiting this topic and see you in the next one !

10 Likes

Great topic and very informative! Was very exciting to read :)

1 Like

Part 2 will be even better :)

1 Like

Wow! They all look awesome.

1 Like

Your visit in the what

1 Like

@BennyBoy007 yeah they look pretty cool ;)
@Suhas it‘s just a museum with old aircraft in it ✈️

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.