My trip with Southwest Airlines! (Part One!)

Hello everyone! And welcome to my first trip report here on the IFC! As some of you may know, I recently flew Southwest to Washington D.C aboard Southwest to Washington D.C! Hope you enjoy!

First Flight.

We hooped onto our charter bus at about 3:00 A.M. to get to the airport by 4:30 A.M. Once everyone was on, we started our trip to Des Moines from my hometown. We arrived at the airport at about 4:35 A.M., and proceeded straight to the Southwest Airlines check in area. Once we got our tickets and bags checked, we headed to Security. After the long wait in security, we finally got to our gate area, where we waited to board our plane.

Our plane for the flight was N204WN, a 13 year old B737-7H4.

After waiting and looking out the window, I decided to go get a quick bite before watching the morning takeoffs roll out. So I decided to go get a quick bite at a local store in the airport. I got a club sandwich and got back to my seat to watch the air traffic at KDSM.

Our Flight started to Board at about 5:50 A.M. we were in one of the last classes to board so we had to wait a little bit to get on, once we got on we picked our seats and sat down. I was lucky enough to get a window seat on the flight due to open seating by Southwest Airlines. We started our pushback at approximately 6:01 A.M. we then quickly taxied to RWY 31, and fired up the engines as we were on the runway. Our journey had started!

We reached our Cruising altitude of 25,000 FT In about 15 minutes, and drinks were being passed out right after we reached it. I asked for a water, as I’m not a big pop fan. Well I never got that water, due to turbulence during the flight. The cabin crew was told to sit during the turbulence, and it really never stopped till we started descending. So the back half of the plane got nothing. Not blaming southwest tho, as nothing you can do about it.

At about 7:10 we started our descent into KSTL. It was a more smoother descent, with a great view of Saint Louis! At approximately 7:17 A.M., we touched down in STL! It was a more bumpier Landing, but most likely due to the crosswinds at STL. We taxied to our gate, E14 and deboarded for our next flight, which was set to takeoff in 2 and a half hours!

I will post part 2 of this later, as I didn’t have a bunch of time to post two tripreports in one post, so except a part 2 of this sometime next week! Thanks for reading!


Wait so you’re telling me there’s a long security line at DSM at 5 A.M.? That’s a first…


Of all my years of flying Southwest even on their shortest flight, I’ve never been missed by the beverage service! This is interesting tho!

1 Like

A lot of flights leave early, and theirs only one line for security, so yah, pretty long wait.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.