My Trip Exploring Aviation in Europe Part 2

Note: Sorry for the delay on this I had other stuff irl that got me occupied
This is part 2 of my 3-part series of showing places involving aviation throughout my time in Europe, if you want to check out part 1 check out the link right here

Location 2: The 2018 Farnborough Airshow

I hadn’t initially planned to go there but since I was there why wouldn’t I want to go? The slight downside to not planning ahead for that was purchasing the tickets a little late resulted me in paying a little more but nonetheless still worth it! So, on June 21st, 2018 I took the train out to Farnborough and then a small bus from the station to the airport. They had a lot of events going on from small demonstrations or air races of prop aircraft to something much bigger which you’ll see below! Thankfully I didn’t play myself again and forget my SD card for my camera. I was able to scavenge some information I learned while at Le Bourget but I couldn’t get much for each aircraft I saw just some specifications, so sorry if the information for each photo aren’t the best. There was a lot to look at Farnborough so I think I’ll try and make a Google doc or something to upload some more after I exceed the 10-photo limit here, anyways enjoy the photos 😊. Oh yeah also if you’re wondering the camera I used, it was a Nikon Coolpix P510.

1. AH-64E Helicopter (Reg Unknown)
Also known as the Apache Helicopter. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find very much information on this guy and I’m not quite familiar with helicopters but still very interesting, this one was from the USAF.

2. ATR-72 MP (Reg Unknown)
To sum up its just a military version of the ATR. It has 2 PW127M Engines producing 2,051 kW of power each. Also, it can do flights up to ten hours and with a takeoff distance of just 1170 m (3839 ft)

3. Raytheon Leonardo T-100 (Reg Unknown)
Also known as the M-346, this plane is meant to be a possible choice for the USAF T-X program which is basically for trainees in the Air Force.

4. USAF’s C-17 Globemaster (Reg Unknown)
I’m little confused as to why they left the reversers open. To be honest I couldn’t get much information about this aircraft specifically.

5. HiFly’s A380 in the “Save the Coral Reefs” Livery (9H-MIP)
Well this is quite known but it’s what makes this A380 special, the 6th A380 ever made and was first to leave SIA’s fleet, the registration with Singapore Airlines was 9V-SKC but now changed to 9H-MIP since it joined HiFly. The aircraft was also used by Norwegian to replace their 787’s during the problem with the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines.

6. Oil Spill Response Limited 727-200 (G-OSRA)
This is one of two former FedEx cargo aircraft which were converted into an aircraft used to respond to oil spills.

7. Gyro Air? (G-DISP)
I’m not quite sure as to what this is but uh….yeah, though I did enjoy the acrobatic maneuvers it performed there.

8. Miss Helen P-51 Mustang (G-BIXL)
I did some research and this one has an interesting past, she did participate in WW2 and has 10 confirmed kills. She was part of the USAAF’s “The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney”.

9. The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows)
The demonstration, was very nice. I couldn’t take of video of the demonstration since it was a bit too difficult for me.

10. Airbus’ A350-1000 XWB in the Carbon Livery (F-WXLV)
It was a great way to end off the day for me, it was my first time seeing an A350 in real life as well. I’ve a video of the demonstration that I’m trying to upload I will provide a link here later once it’s ready. The sound of its Trent XWB engines up close was pretty loud and excting.

To sum it all up it was a great day at the airshow there were so many aircraft to see and places to explore. I felt a bit disappointed that I couldn’t see any Bombardier aircraft though all they had was a large screen just advertising the CRJ and Q400 family of aircraft. Nonetheless, it’s an experience I ain’t gonna forget! Also sorry about this part coming quite late, I’ll try to be quicker for uploading part 3. Happy New Year as well guys :)

15 Likes

Very neat If I do say so myself! Great photos mate

1 Like

I also forgot to add one small thing here, just a picture of the ticket I got there :)

1 Like

Great photo of that A350 banking!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.