My return to Denver - KDEN Spotting, July 25, 2020 (Part One)

Hey All! The other day I ventured out to KDEN for the first time since March 24th, a period of 4 months since my last visit 😬. When I went back then, the traffic was actually much lower (as shown in the spotting topic I made then), but it seemed normal as I went during a large arrival block followed by a nice departure bank. Also, an IFC member was transiting through DEN, keep reading below to find out!

I started my session on the east side parking garages while noticing numerous aircraft parked on the ramp since there was a long layover some of these planes or they just parked over here. Here’s N342FR “Baja the Whale Shark”, an Airbus A320 NEO, getting towed over here to be parked here for only about 2 hours, as it got moved over to the terminal, scheduled on a flight to LAX, but that didn’t happen, as it flew out to Philadelphia (PHL) as F9172 on July 27. The other Aircraft in this shot are N330FR, “Junior the Lynx”, another A320 NEO, which got towed here right as I arrived, had arrived from Los Angeles (LAX) as F9403, and would later leave the next morning as F9458 to Minneapolis-Saint Paul (MSP). N664AW, a regular A320, one of the American Airlines aircraft here, arrived from Philadelphia (PHL) as AA1193, would spend the night here, then depart back to Philadelphia (PHL) as AA2672 the next day. The other AA aircraft here is N990NN, a 737-800, which arrived from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) as AA998, would overnight here, and would fly out to Chicago-O’hare (ORD) as AA2780. The Key Lime Air Metroliner, registered as N882DC, was taking a stop from flying DEN-AIA (Alliance, Nebraska) and the return. It flew in on the 24th and left again on the 27th.

Up next is N1327A, A Boeing 767-3D7(ER)(BDSF), formerly operated by Air Seychelles, Nordwind Airlines, and Ikar of Russia, which was converted to a freighter in 2016-2017. It’s over 23 years old and still going strong. It was departing to ONT as “Atlas Air 3725” (5Y3725)

Next up, we have N8683D, one of Southwest’s many 737-8H4’s, which is 4.4 years old, arriving from San Antonio (SAT) as “Southwest 1762” (WN1762)

As usual, no spotting topic of mine is complete without a Southwest Canyon Blue, and although I only caught 2 of them this day, I saw more departing/arriving but either they were too far away or I was moving and I couldn’t catch them. Here’s N8613K, a 7.4-year-old 737-8H4 in the best livery out there, arriving from Sacramento as “Southwest 1452” (WN1452)

Up next is “Flo the Flamingo” a 3.4-year-old A320 NEO, arriving from Lost Wages (Las Vegas) as “Frontier Flight 776” (F9776)

After around 2 hours on the east side, I moved over to the west side to catch the departure block for aircraft headed out to the west coast. One of my first catches was N13428, a 20.7 year old 737-824, in United’s new livery, heading out to Sacramento (SMF) as “United 1130” (UA1130)

Up next is a shot that came together nicely, with some nice lighting, featuring N66828, a 6.2-year old 737-924ER heading out to San Francisco (SFO) as “United 1008” (UA1008)

Up next is one of United’s ex-China Southern A319s, this one being 15.5 years old, with United’s new livery on, registered as N879UA, heading out to Boise (BOI) as “United 297” (UA297)

Next is another United 737-924ER, this one being newer at 3.7 years old, registered as N63899, heading out to San Diego (SAN) as “United 540” (UA540)

I guess you could call this the moment you’ve been waiting for, but I don’t know if you should.

This aircraft may just seem like a normal Southwest 737-8H4 heading out to some destination from Denver, but this is the aircraft that carried the community member home.

Who was on this plane, you may ask, but I will provide the answer. The answer is @reer104 heading back to his home in SoCal after arriving earlier from New Orleans (wait for part 2 to see his arrival), onboard N8658A, a 5.6-year-old 737-8H4 heading out to Burbank (BUR) as “Southwest 160” (WN160).

Thanks for viewing this spotting topic which is my first in a long time, and let me know which photo was your favorite down below! I also have a list below of my prior spotting topics and stay tuned for part 2!

Previous Spotting topics

Vintage Aircraft + others - @ KBJC - May 14, 2020
Some pre-lockdown spotting - @KDEN - March 24, 2020
Some other Airport other than BJC or DEN! Spotting at KAPA - February 15, 2020
Some pre turkey day spotting - @ KDEN 11/24/19 (Part 1)
Afternoon Spotting - At KBJC (10-6-19) (Part 1)
An afternoon spotting session in Denver, September 15, 2019

A special thanks to

@den.aviation editing the dust off these photos, it definitely helped with the quality!
@reer104 letting me know he was flying in and out of DEN, it actually helped me go out to the airport and catch his arrival!
The triple S: y’all know who you are, thanks for the motivation and commentary on my photos.

55 Likes

Wow I didn’t know united had Airbus in their fleet. Don’t roast me 😂

3 Likes

The canyon blue is by far the best. Nice shots!

1 Like

Nice Shots!

1 Like

boi they have had A320s in their fleet since 1993 and A319s in their fleet since 1997, so yes, I’m roasting you right now lol

Agreed, thanks!

Thank you!

1 Like

Beautiful photos!

1 Like

Tyler should’ve edited in some tilt when he removed the dust

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’m surprised he didn’t actually

1 Like

Amazing photos man, much appreciated coming out and spotting me, i was waving from the cabin ;)

1 Like

Was this from the economy lot? They’re good photos I’m just trying to remember where you’d have to be to get that angle.

1 Like

Thanks for connecting through DEN! It was nice to see your flights arrived and depart.

It was taken at the garages. You can see some of the cars in the economy lots in some of the pictures.

2 Likes

Nice shots luke 😇

1 Like

Some really interesting airplanes captured with some great scenery! Also cool that the DEN tent theme continues even at the parking lots. Thanks for sharing your pictures, looking forward to Part 2!

1 Like

Great shots, next time you should try and catch some of the United 777

1 Like

Thanks Suhas!

It’s a nice little touch that DEN did when they were building the airport :) Thanks!

Thanks! I tried but they didn’t land on 35L at all and when I did see them they were either too far away or obstructed by too many things, unfortunately.

3 Likes

I agree. I’ve seen so many people hate it! I love how much it stands out from the others.

2 Likes

Greatly agreed! The canyon blue needs to be more LUVed by all :(

1 Like

The Prime Air 767 is my favorite shot, my favorite cargo livery. They recently started sending their 737s here at RIC! 😁

1 Like

Thanks Nick! It’s nice to see the Prime Air 767 at DEN, they aren’t very big here carrier-wise.

1 Like

Awesome shots, love the Prime Air 767 :)

1 Like