My quest to control in every country of the world!

10/25/20

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Finished a session at KSNA, my home airport! Also known as John Wayne Airport, it was renamed from Orange Country Airport in 1979 in honor of actor John Wayne, who lived in neighboring Newport Beach and died that year. A statue of John Wayne was installed at the airline terminal in 1982. [Source]

Did you know? The USA is a country on the North American continent that consists of 50 states, a federal district (District of Columbia) and 14 territories. [Source]

3 Likes

If the schedule has LQSA listed in the future, let me know. I’d be more than happy to accommodate you from the cockpit side of things. The airport can actually handle a 772, despite the rather small size.

1 Like

10/25/20

TIMOR-LESTE

Wasn’t able to log it until now, but I finished a session at WPDL, in Timor-Leste, also known as East Timor, earlier today.

Did you know? Only 947,000 people live in the tiny country, which takes up half of the small island of Timor. The population of Los Angeles, California, in the United States of America, is 4 times this number!

2 Likes

Yesss KSNA for the win, great choice, fellow KSNA person.

Wishing you the best of luck for this!

1 Like

Was wondering when you’d show up, Matt ;)

1 Like

10/25/20

NORTH KOREA (DPRK)

Well. That was interesting. Just finished a session controlling ZKPY, also known as Pyongyang International, in North Korea.
Had the Air Force One 747 doing patterns. Never thought I’d see that aircraft doing patterns at Pyongyang, but hey, first time for everything.

Did you know? North Korea created its own time zone, called Pyongyang Time, named after the North Korean capital, which is 30 minutes behind South Korea and Japan.

12 Likes

10/26/20

Japan

Well, I finished about 3/4 of the session at RJAA before the servers crashed, but I guess we will still count it.

Did you know? Japan is made up of 6,852 islands. That’s at least more than one if I had to estimate.

6 Likes

10/26/20

Canada

Finished a session controlling departure and approach at CYYZ, Toronto Pearson.

Did you know? Canada has as many as two million lakes, with 563 of them larger than 100 square kilometres. [Source]

2 Likes

Forgot to log this yesterday:
10/27/20

Poland

Finished a session controlling Tower and Atis at EPKT in Poland.

Did you know? Poland’s name originates from the name of the tribe Polanie, which means “people living in open fields”.

6 Likes

10/28/20

New Zealand

Finished controlling final approach at Auckland airport in New Zealand! Had up to 10 aircraft on a downwind leg at a time. Great work by @Enrique_Fernandez and others in order to make this session successful.

Did you know? There are approximately 5 1/2 sheep for every 1 person in New Zealand? New Zealand has a human population of around 5 million, and a sheep population of about 27 million.

8 Likes

10/30/20

Taiwan

Finishing up a session at RCTP (Taiwan Taoyuan International) controlling radar.
Taiwan, officially the Republic of China, is a country in East Asia.

Did you know? In Taiwan, you can take away your trash to the tune of Beethoven!
According to Asia Exchange, "When walking around the streets of Taiwan, you won’t see any garbage bins. Instead, there are garbage trucks that go round the town and collect the [g]arbage straight from the people.

So far, so good. But how do people know when to take their trash out? This is where it gets slightly extraordinary. The trucks play Für Elise to prompt people to bring their garbage to the truck. During the holidays, the truck drivers switch to Christmas mode and play Christmas songs.

So, whenever you hear Beethoven in Taiwan, you know that it is time to toss your garbage away!"

5 Likes

Do you know who’s literacy rate is higher. DPRK

Unfortunately, the DPRK’s statistics are unconfirmed due to their international policies that cause them to be a very private country. It likely does have a very high literacy rate though, yes. However, it is impossible at this point in time to pinpoint the exact number. :)

1 Like

11/07/20

GERMANY

Marking my session from the 7th of November that I forgot to log.

This session was a session where I controlled multiple centers. Because it would be unfair to log multiple countries for one session, I will simply log it based off where the frequencies were located. Ie. for this session, I opened at ETOI to give myself favorable FIR ranges.

Did you know? 65% of the highways in Germany (Autobahn) have no speed limit. Source

3 Likes

11/11/20

AUSTRIA

Completed this session last night controlling 3 centers. (Munich, Praha, and Wein)
As the session was located at LOLM for favorable FIR ranges, it counts for Austria.

Did you know? 62% of Austria is covered by the Austrian Alps [Source]. Jeez, that’s a lot!

4 Likes

Very nice! Cant wait to keep in tracking this thread to see your progress!

Good luck 🍀

1 Like

At least you know that you’re slightly insane ;)

1 Like

11/13/20

AUSTRALIA

Forgot to finish logging this yesterday… heh.

Controlled YSSY approach.

I really dislike this airport… but it was a pretty nice session actually. Had a lot of fun working with my other controllers.

Did you know? Australia is home to around 1,500 types of spiders, 4,000 types of ants and 350 types of termites. [Source]

I have major arachnophobia. I had to copy and paste this because I can’t even type out the name of the arachanids. So to me, this is terrifying.

5 Likes

And this is why I refuse to come.

Thanks for accommodating those flocking to Australia. I’m sure they were happy to have you online.

1 Like

Always happy to provide service :)

1 Like