My quest to control in every country of the world!

Hello!
Today I will be starting an interesting challenge for myself.

The plan

I recently had an idea come to mind. I will be attempting to control an airport in every country of the world. As I work to complete this huge task, I will be tracking my progress here with the map below, as well as updating you all with new posts as I go! I also want to provide a fact about the country to encourage others to come try a flight in the area!

Why am I doing this?

Good question. It all started at 11 PM on a Friday night, and like all ideas created at 11 PM on a Friday night, I will probably live to regret this.
More seriously, though–I want to experience the diversity of what every country of the world has to offer. This will not be an easy task, and it may take a lot of luck with ATC Choice days on the schedule in order to accomplish this, but I’ll certainly try my best!

Current Progress

This thread is IFATC supervisor approved.

49 Likes

10/24/20

NEPAL

Today, I controlled at the treacherous Lukla airport in Tenzing, Nepal!

Did you know? The Nepal flag is the only national flag that is not quadrilateral in shape. It is made of two triangles.

7 Likes

I think I remember this.

1 Like

Yes, I did hear that a few others have done this in the past. Not sure about the specifics though!

1 Like

I was talking about Lukla, lol.

2 Likes

Oh, well yeah, I do remember a certain Davide being there ;)

3 Likes

I endorse this idea as long as your visit to Gabon opens FOOL for a while.

3 Likes

Good luck with Vatican City mate

5 Likes

Lol, ‘worlds smallest airport’. Wish there was a helipad on top of one of the buildings there.

1 Like

Good luck with Nauru too. Uncontrolled airport 😂

Jokes aside, good luck. Nice to see another globetrotter willing to see what every country has to offer.

1 Like

10/24/20

UNITED KINGDOM

Finished a session at EGLC! Pretty crazy weather conditions, started with gusts of 35kts, visibility of 0, etc.

Did you know? English computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee is credited with inventing the World Wide Web.

4 Likes

I actually love this idea. There are tons of uncontrolled airports around the world that could use a controller once in a while. I’d be happy to fly in whenever possible.

1 Like

Better get Tyler to feature every country at some
point… lol

Good luck - I may take advantage of these opportunities!

2 Likes

I’ll probably have to utilize ATC choice days, but we will see how it goes!

1 Like

Well there are a few countries that don’t hold a airport for say Vatican City

1 Like

Yes! That is correct. I will do all the countries with controllable airports. Ie. Vatican City has a helicopter pad however not a controllable airport.

1 Like

Nice work! This will hopefully add some diversity to the system and encourage pilots to check out some new places. Best of luck!

6 Likes

Good luck on your quest

1 Like

Just wanted to say that this is such an amazing idea and can’t wait to see how you go.

Wishing you the best of luck!

8 Likes

10/25/20

URUGUAY

Finished a session at SUMU. No traffic, but I enjoyed the scenery and am happy to learn about the country! May take a minute to update the map.

Did you know? Uruguay has a literacy rate of 98.1% for adults, one of the highest in the world. This is thanks to the country’s provision of free, compulsory education.

6 Likes