My pilgrimage to see flight 1549

In July of 2017 I saw the movie Sully for the first time in the theater. It was amazing and is one of my favorite aviation movies. I loved it so much that I started doing some research on the incident and I found out that the airplane itself was on display in an aviation museum in Charlotte NC. I showed my mom and she instantly gained interest and we booked the tickets for a weekend trip to Charlotte to go see the actual airplane.

So we flew to Seattle and spent a day there, then we took the red eye down to CLT via DEN and at 4:00am EST we touched down in Charlotte and not less then 8 hours later we were at the museum gazing upon the silent giant of the A320 registered N106US.

Here are a few pictures of the airplane.

I hope you have enjoyed my topic and thank you taking a look at it!

68 Likes

Luckyyyyyy!!! I want to go :(
Hope you had a good trip :)

1 Like

I had a great trip! It wasn’t super fancy but it is a trip I will remember for a lifetime.

1 Like

Trips don’t have to be fancy to be memorable!
Glad you had a good time though :)

3 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

Nice Profile pic :)

2 Likes

Haha, same for you! :D

2 Likes

@W_LL, @Alfie_Hunt I see the Checo fans are out in force today haha.

Anyways, awesome trip, glad you liked it, definitely somewhere I would like to go some day.

1 Like

Yup LOL

Checo better go to Red Bull

1 Like

It is amazing, yet daunting what can happen to an aircraft when it collides with nature. Must’ve been a very surreal experience having a crashed aircraft right in front of your eyes, yet amazing to think it was able to land in a bed of water, not even forgetting Sully that piloted it.

3 Likes

It is incredible! I didn’t have any words to say how amazed I was to see just how preserved it was. It was an airplane that was frozen in time.

2 Likes

Back on topic from me… Sergio Perez 🏆😂 I don’t recall there being very many “crashed” planes on display, so it would be pretty unique to see N106US in its full crashed glory :D

2 Likes

That looks cool! Nice photos!

1 Like

Someone deliberately taking a flight to CLT for something other then connections? That’s a first. Been there numerous times but haven’t been in quite a while

1 Like

And Just to clarify, the damage on the aircraft is from the transport, not the landing. It only suffered minor damage on the landing.

1 Like

Oh man, Lucky!

1 Like

I know this is a stretch But in 8th Grade I went to IS234 in NYC ah I miss my Brooklyn days, regardless my Social Studies teacher, Mr Palmer (Remember the last name), He told us the story of his Mother and sister being on that aircraft of course everyone in class wanted my input because I’m the only one that knows about aviation, regardless in the movie the woman in a Wheelchair is Mr Palmers mother, and the woman with her is his sister so pretty epic honestly, Mr Palmers brothers was a Firefighter and was present when the Ferries brought the passengers to shore. Pretty cool in the End Credits if you look closely you could see Actor- Playing (I don’t know the mothers first name) Palmer. Pretty cool

3 Likes

Well the airplane is still preserved after 9 years I think well its something that I should go in person to see one day,

2 Likes

I’ve been to see that plane almost 5 times. Each time I learn something new and I’m more impressed than the last time. The condition it’s in after 9 years without flying is incredible.

Just goes to show. No matter how many times you go to see something, you’ll always walk away knowing something new.

But you didn’t tell me you were coming to CLT 😔. Points off for that. 😛

2 Likes

It was an amazing learning experience filled with information that I will never forget.
I went on the trip before joining IFC but if I go back to CLT you will be the first one to know.😉

3 Likes