My local airport KCLT

This is Charlotte-Douglas Intl … just 2 miles from my front door. I love taking off in IF and seeing our property it’s always awesome … this picture was taken at the overlook and there is not much going on this morning, a few CRJs have landed on the runway out of sight to my right and behind… I thought you guys would like to see a pic … you can also see the new ATC Tower to the right and the old one in the middle… Fly safe ! 20190114_085208

19 Likes

Was in Charlotte back in 2015. One of my favorite airports for spotting, the airport overlook park is a thing every airport should have. Also very nice panoramic shot!

3 Likes

Thanks ! Yea every airport should have it but it’s dangerous in the world we live in… the way the parking lot is made you could easily gain access by laying a ladder across to the top of the fence which would basically make a bridge…some years ago a young man made it across and into a cargo section of an aircraft bound for Philadelphia I believe and he froze and then fell out when the plane let down its gear. It’s an awesome addition but could be very dangerous.

1 Like

Well I was probably one of the CRJ’s you saw. I fly for PSA! Actually about to head back to CLT in a bit. AA5697 CAE-CLT (should Land 36L

10 Likes

That’s freakin awesome bro i saw one land probably an hour ago it came in on 36L and as it exited the runway it still had the reverse thrust open… was that you! Hahaha this is great man.

If you take off 36L I live to the left on lake wylie (catawba river) . I can hear the reverse thrusters if it’s a big enough plane.

We never take off from 36L but we typically will take a high speed taxi off the runway with the thrust reverser a cracked open a little but they’re not at the max.

2 Likes

I was describing the one I saw it was nice but it wasn’t really loud at this point but the thrusters were open just a bit like you’re saying … i can only see a bit and then view is lost. Fly safe brother !

KCLT is a wierd Airport not sure who designed it but if you get rid of 36L/18R it looks just like KDAL when it comes to runway set up i’m spending more time out ther now that i have a lens that can see the planes from the parking deck to 36L/18R if only the heavies would all land on the sunny side of the airport that would be nice. lol but they never do.

1 Like

My local airport too… Good for plane watching!

1 Like

@Pilot_urp @racerclc

2 Likes

I’m originally from Boone, I’ve flown in and out CLT over the years

@Dylan_M thanks:)

Love seeing another member from Charlotte!
I live where planes fly right over my backyard on 36R.

I was recently at the overlook and got some nice pics
Click here to see my spotting thread

3 Likes

They built 23-5 and it haven’t been used for a long time.

Weird and stupid to build 23-5 with poor design and layout

@IFATC_Andrew indeed. I noticed that once. 36L is cool as I-485 is right by the runway and you can see the planes land from the interstate. Love the perspective

1 Like

I live right by Dallas Love Field and I actually keep my personal plane at the Addison airport in Dallas but I also live right where I can see planes fly over all day. What is really nice for me is I work from home so I built my house to watch aircraft come in through the window I sit next to everyday for my job. It’s absolutely amazing. Needless to say, I see a lot of Southwest Airlines aircraft since they are based out of Love Field.

1 Like

It is weird. It’s a common thing I always ask who I’m flying with. Not once has anyone landed on 5 that I’ve spoken to. Some have said they’ve taken off from 5. A few have said they’ve taken off from 36L but it was due to 36C being closed or something.
I’ve only landed on 23 a couple of times, less than 10.

But since we have some spotters on here, y’all message me on here or instagram (@ First_Officer_Register) and I can send you my flights and I’ll try to wave or flash some lights for ya!

1 Like

yup yup yup the otp runway is really cool

1 Like

Hey Caleb! That’s cool, I also live in the Charlotte area. Unfortunately, I’m not as close to the airport as you, but I enjoy visiting the Overlook every now and then when I get the chance.
I also believe that @Johnathan_Kwiatkowsk lives near KCLT.

Maybe I’ll see you sometime at the Overlook 👋

P.S. I can’t wait for the new runway they’re planning!

2 Likes

I have to uber to the overlook and uber isnt exactly friendly about going to the overlook to pick people up so i stay on the parking deck since i take public transit there but it has a great view of the otp runway.

2 Likes

Are you sure they rarely use 23? I can recall taking off from 23 on a not-so-long-ago flight.
But I agree, that runway doesn’t make very much sense. Certainly has no purpose for landings, and it doesn’t seem very useful for helping the takeoffs.

1 Like