My future with the airlines

Hey everyone!
I recently handed in my badge for SkyWest Airlines. When I was in high school, I was interested in a part time job and looked at my local airport for any job openings. Sure enough SkyWest was looking for ramp agents part time. I applied thinking I won’t get the job but sure enough I got the job. Only problem was that I lived an hour and 22 minutes away from the airport. This was all back in October of 2020 and for the next 9 months I was driving to work at 2 in the morning for a 6am departure, then driving home at 1am after working a RON. I had to de ice the planes (which wasn’t fun for me lol), load/unload, marshal in and out and use the jet bridge. There was A LOT to learn before I was allowed onto the ramp and once I started out there, It was the best job of my life! I came to love my co workers and we all had fun, it didn’t even feel like work.
After I left, and I was graduated, I wondered “hmm that was fun, I think I am ready to give the mainline guys a try” So I sent in an application for Southwest Airlines for ramp, I did all the interviews and soon was offered a job in Denver! When I was younger I never thought I would be where I am right now, working for one of the best airlines in the US! I am thankful I was able to get my foot in the door in the airline industry and that my manager was eager to help me any way he could! So my future is with Southwest Airlines and so far it is looking bright!

OO 3

30 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome! Would you recommend being a ramp agent? I would love to work on the ramp for Southwest or Alaska, preferably in Seattle.

Thanks for sharing this neat story! I personally relate to a lot of this as a ramp agent myself. Nice to hear about other experiences. Enjoy the new job, and wherever it may lead you next.

2 Likes

if you like working around airplanes i would definitely recommend it!

2 Likes

Totally cool! Thanks for sharing. Cant wait to finish my flight training and fly for one of those airlines someday!

1 Like

Welcome to the best airline there is!!

Welcome to the luvline!

1 Like

Nope, OO did the ground handling as well as above the wing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.