My Friend Just Crashed His Plane Into the Ocean

Was flying formation with a friend yesterday for an air-to-air photo mission with his new Bonanza when things turned south. Apparently the story has already been covered on the today show and GMA. Not really the way I would’ve liked to see my name on television for the first time but oh well. Check out the new vlog from Matt Guthmiller below who covers everything on the ditching.

40 Likes

How unfortunate. Hope your friend was alright and went for a good swim! 🏊‍♂️

Poor plane though.

9 Likes

I hope your friend is alright! Unfortunately things like this happen…

2 Likes

Man, hope your friend survived and got rescued. I also feel bad for the new plane your friend bought :/.

2 Likes

Oh wow. So you were the pilot who was circling above the crashed plane?

The plane is gone, but it could’ve been worse. Luckily they’re both doing well apparently.

Thank you for sharing this story and all the best to all of you.

13 Likes

Wow, that’s scary! I’m glad he’s alright as it could have been worse 😬

2 Likes

It already was worse because of the jellyfish that they somehow got through with it.

2 Likes

That’s insane! Seems like he did a good job ditching it - sure it’s not sully’s son? Hope they’re alright!

2 Likes

He’s doing fine as you can see if you watched the video. It’s unfortunate but he’s just gonna buy another one soon.

2 Likes

I was in the plane that was circling. My brother was flying it/handling coms. I was just the photographer/videographer for the flight which was supposed to be an air to air photo mission.

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. That really must’ve been quite a shocking experience. Good luck to you all.

3 Likes

Hu, saw this yesterday, crazy that one of the active members here was involved

2 Likes

I’m glad he’s ok, I just have no words. That’s insane.
It’s crazy an active community member was also involved, he did well at ditching the plane. Could have been worse.

Reading this reminded me of a crash a few years back where my father’s old flight instructor crashed in a DA42 south of Cyprus. Unfortunately, both of the pilots on board didn’t survive. If anyone is interested, there’s an article I found here. I’m glad things turned out for the better in this situation. Thanks for sharing :)

2 Likes

Just now, my mother was reading something on social media like:

“Man takes selfie while plane crashed on water”

And I was like: Wait, is that the guy who made the topic on the IFC?

Anyways, I’m glad everyone Is ok.

1 Like

Thinking of your friend. Hope all is well

From Ireland 🇨🇮

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.