My Experience Traveling to the World’s North-Most Commercial Airport

Hello IFC! I am currently visiting the country of Norway on vacation 🇳🇴. Earlier today, I took a flight from the bustling city of Tromsø to the isolated town of Longyearbyen, Svalbard (which is known for being the world’s Northernmost airport with commercial flights). It was an awesome experience, and the scenery on descent was absolutely stunning. Anyways, here are some photos from this arctic adventure.

Flight Info

Aircraft: SAS A320neo
Route: Tromsø (ENTC) —> Longyearbyen (ENSB)
Flight Time: 1 hour 33 minutes

Walking on the jet bridge to my aircraft, an SAS A320neo registered as SE-RUC

Pushing back from the gate at Tromsø. Unfortunately there was snow on the window, which made it difficult to take this photo.

Getting de-iced on the ramp. I waved to the guy in the crane, but he didn’t see me 😒

Liftoff!

Saying goodbye to Tromsø as we turn North 👋

Cruising over the Norwegian Sea

Starting decent into Longyearbyen. It’s only 2:00pm, but the sun is setting already (due to the polar night)!

On approach though a mountain valley

Touching down in Longyearbyen with the terminal in the background

Taking one last look at the plane before waking into the terminal.

I hope you enjoyed! Be sure to let me know what you think down below. Have a great rest of your day!

28 Likes

Looks absolutely amazing. I’m glad my home airport helped you get there

2 Likes

Very cool! Funny, I just watched a short video about this place. Makes me want to explore it. Nice shots! Enjoy your time there.

4 Likes

Thanks! Lots of unique activities you can do on this island.

1 Like

That’s a beautiful approach. From @Ryan_15 comment, what route did you take from PDX?

2 Likes

How did you travel in Longyearbyen, did you got a guide or can you just rent a car and discover it yourself?

1 Like

For every activity you do that’s outside the city, you will need a tour guide (for polar bear protection reasons). So for things like snowmobiling or skiing that take place outside of Longyearbyen, you’ll need a tour guide.

1 Like

I took a flight from PDX - AMS to get over to Europe for this trip.

1 Like

I liked the last photo very much

1 Like

Thanks, glad you like it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.