My Belated Tribute to the MD-88 @KGRR

Hey IFC! This is my official tribute post to the McDonnell Douglas MD-88 and MD-90 Variants. Enjoy!

Short history of the series

Early Life

The McDonnell Douglas MD-80 series was a single isle airliner developed by the MD company in 1979. It was originally planned to be a predecessor of the famous DC-9 Series. The first flight was on October 18th, 1979 and it was introduced with Swiss Air on October 10th, 1980.

A Successful Variant

The MD-80 series was very popular among airlines. This is because it was cheap and a “modern” jet at the time. It’s slim fuselage and easy configuration made it easy to store and maintain. It became one of the most iconic jets of its time, and an astonishing 1,191 were built.

Major Operators

Major customers have included Aerolíneas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aeropostal Aerorepublica, Alaska Airlines, Alitalia, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Aserca, Austral Líneas Aéreas, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, China Eastern Airlines, China Northern Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Finnair, Iberia, Insel Air, Japan Air System (JAS), Korean Air, Lion Air, Martinair Holland, Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), Reno Air, Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), Spanair, Spirit Airlines, Swissair, Trans World Airlines and Meridiana

Used Everywhere

With its mass popularity and the wide range of airlines that operated this, the iconic aircraft could almost be seen everywhere.

An Abrupt Ending

Due to the COVID-19 crisis, most airlines that continued to operate it through 2020 have or are planning to retire the series. Even though this is a loss for the aviation community, there is always good in fleeting an aircraft. For example, retiring old airplanes make room for the new ones.

Here are the photos from the last time I saw the MD-88 operating. These photos were taken June of 2019.

N968DL on final approach

The iconic aircraft deploying reverse thrusters

Hiding behind the fence

N968DL turning off the runway

Taxing back to the gate

N968DL’s last flight was on April 13th, 2020 with a flight from Atlanta to Blytheville.

Thanks for viewing!

Disclaimer: most of this article was paraphrased by me from here. All of the photos above are my own.

27 Likes

Beautiful photos! This was one of my favorite aircraft!

1 Like

Nice to see that another person on the IFC likes KGRR!

Oh whoops I meant aircraft! But KGRR is a really nice airport

1 Like

Nice! I do believe when I went to Grand Rapids in 2018, 2016, and 2014 I saw the MD-88, but didn’t take any pictures, sadly. Nice pics!

@Joseph007 look

2 Likes

Thank you! Did you enjoy your visit to GRR?

1 Like

I did! I enjoyed it more in 2018 because the terminal renovations were complete unlike the other two times.

1 Like

Love these pictures! I’ll always remember the time seeing them in Grand Rapids!

1 Like

Yes! It was always to see the Allegiant MD-83s back in 2016!

Adding on to this/bumping: the landing was on 17

DM me if you want a wallpaper version!

Yeah, she is a beauty!

1 Like

I love the MD-88 it is such a rare and unique that airplane that stands out from the crowd at any airport. I remember when I got to see one fly out of my hometown airport of PDX on a charter flight, it was a real treat!

1 Like

Wow, what airline was chartering it?

1 Like

It was Delta and it’s destination was Denver although I don’t know who the flight was for but if I had to guess, my guess would be the local soccer team the Portland Timbers.

1 Like

Seems cool!

1 Like

Ah yes, the mighty MD-80. It was an incredible airplane!

And awesome photos too!

1 Like

Thanks man!

1 Like

Anybody know an airline that still operates these? Or are they completely out of service

Nice shots! Sad to see it go.

1 Like