My 2019: 46 Flights, 88,000+ Miles, 90+ IF RWA News Topics

To begin, I only recently joined the IF forums 6 months ago, and I’ve had an amazing experience here and learned a ton from everyone!

This was undeniably the most intense year of aviation for me, from flying to reading aviation news.

Others are doing it, so here’s mine.

Part 1: Personal Flying:

2019: 46 Flights, 88,000+ Miles Flown:

Airline Route Aircraft Month Notes
American Eagle Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Lexington (LEX) Embraer E-175 March
American Eagle Lexington to Philadelphia (PHL) Embraer E-145 March
American Airlines Philadelphia to St. Maarten (SXM) Boeing 737-800 March
American Airlines St. Maarten to Philadelphia Boeing 737-800 March
American Eagle Philadelphia to Cincinnati (CVG) Canadair CRJ-900 March
American Eagle Lexington to Dallas/Fort Worth Embraer E-175 March
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Orange County (SNA) Boeing 737-800 April
American Eagle Los Angeles (LAX) to Omaha (OMA) Embraer E-175 April
American Airlines Omaha to Dallas/Fort Worth MD-80 April
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Portland (PDX) Airbus A321 May
American Airlines Portland to Dallas/Fort Worth Airbus A321 May
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Los Angeles Airbus A321 June
American Airlines Los Angeles to Tokyo (HND) Boeing 787-9 June
EVA Air Tokyo Haneda to Taipei Songshan (TSA) Airbus A330-300 June
Cathay Pacific Taipei Songshan to Hong Kong (HKG) Boeing 777-300 June First time on regular -300
American Airlines Hong Kong to Dallas/Fort Worth Boeing 777-300ER June 17 Hour Delay
American Eagle Dallas/Fort Worth to Aspen (ASE) Canadair CRJ-700 June
American Eagle Aspen to Phoenix (ASE) Canadair CRJ-700 June
American Airlines Phoenix to Anchorage (ANC) Airbus A321neo June First time on a neo
American Airlines Anchorage to Phoenix Airbus A321neo June
American Eagle Phoenix to Aspen Canadair CRJ-700 June
American Eagle Aspen to Dallas/Fort Worth Canadair CRJ-700 June
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Las Vegas (LAS) Boeing 757-200 July
Delta Air Lines Las Vegas to Salt Lake City (SLC) Airbus A321 July First time on Delta!
American Airlines Salt Lake City to Dallas/Fort Worth Boeing 737-800 July
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Los Angeles Boeing 737-800 July
American Airlines Los Angeles to Tokyo Haneda Boeing 777-300ER July
All Nippon Airways Tokyo Haneda to Hong Kong Boeing 767-300 July
Cathay Dragon Hong Kong to Xiamen (XMN) Airbus A330-300 August
Xiamen Airlines Xiamen to Beijing (PEK) Boeing 787-9 August Originally supposed to be on a 787-8
All Nippon Airways Beijing to Tokyo Haneda Boeing 787-8 August
Japan Airlines Tokyo Haneda to San Francisco Boeing 777-300ER August
American Airlines San Francisco to Dallas/Fort Worth Airbus A321 August
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Orange County Boeing 737-800 September
American Airlines Orange County to Dallas/Fort Worth Boeing 737-800 September
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Amarillo (AMA) MD-80 September Final MD-80 Flight September 3
American Airlines Amarillo to Dallas/Fort Worth MD-80 September Final MD-80 Flight September 4
Delta Air Lines Dallas/Fort Worth to New York (JFK) Airbus A220-100 November First time on an A220!
American Airlines New York JFK to Los Angeles Airbus A321 November
American Airlines Los Angeles to Dallas/Fort Worth Airbus A321 November
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago (ORD) Boeing 737-800 December
American Airlines Chicago to Dallas/Fort Worth Boeing 737-800 December
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth to Hong Kong Boeing 777-300ER December
Cathay Pacific Hong Kong to Melbourne (MEL) Airbus A350-1000XWB December First time on an A350!
Qantas Melbourne to Sydney (SYD) Boeing 737-800 December First time on Qantas
American Airlines Sydney to Los Angeles Boeing 787-9 December
American Airlines Los Angeles to Dallas/Fort Worth Airbus A321 December Reverse ops takeoff

Firsts:

Airports: Airlines Aircraft
Lexington (LEX) Delta Air Lines Boeing 777-300
St. Maarten (SXM) Qantas Airbus A321neo
Cincinnati (CVG) Airbus A220-100
Omaha (OMA) Airbus A350-1000XWB
Portland (PDX)
Aspen (ASE)
Phoenix (PHX)
Salt Lake City (SLC)
Amarillo (AMA)
Melbourne (MEL)
Sydney (SYD)

Sure, flying’s fun, but this may have honestly been too much.

Notable Things:

Most Surprising Airline: Qantas

I got the chance to fly Qantas for the first time when visiting Australia for the first time about a week ago. It was a rather regular domestic service between Melbourne and Sydney. For this flight, I was going in completely blind without any prior knowledge of what to expect. To my surprise, the aircraft featured personal entertainment screens and complimentary Wi-Fi for every passenger. For in-flight service, every passenger was given a complimentary antipasti snack, which was delicious as well!

Favorite Aircraft: Airbus A220

Hands down, gotta be the Airbus A220-100. Sincerely comfortable arranged in a 2-3 configuration, beautiful wing view, great tech with personal entertainment screens (Delta).

Best Flight: DFW-AMA-DFW in American’s Final MD-80 Flight:

A bittersweet flight to see these aircraft go.

Worst Flight: SYD-LAX AA 787-9 Economy Class:

Not a great flight… really tight legroom, not the best entertainment options, food wasn’t great. Windows were locked throughout the flight and unfortunately couldn’t see much on landing.

Favorite Airport: Tokyo Haneda:

Super clean, bunch of shops, and even has an observation deck which allows you to see practically the entire airport. What else could you ask for?

Least Favorite Airport: Sydney (International Terminal)

Not sure if it was just my experience, but at the gate for my LAX-SYD flight, the boarding area was fenced and people checked your passport meaning you couldn’t leave the gate area without your passport? What was up with that… Our flight seemed to be the only one doing it.

Delta A220 @DFW

American 777-300ER Approaching Hong Kong:

Cathay Pacific A350-1000XWB Sunrise Over Australia

American 737-800 Sunset Arrival Into Chicago

Part 2: IFC/RW Experience/Analysis:

Since joining 6 months ago, I’ve had an amazing time here on the IFC, especially in this Real World Aviation section!

Since July 2019, I’ve covered approximately 90 Aviation News topics here, and it’s been fun to cover every one of them!

Some of the most viewed/popular:

Finally, I’d like to thank everyone here for reading these topics. In a way, some topics have acted as a script for aviation news/developments videos on my YouTube channel, which just launched in April of 2019 racking up over 660 subscribers and 180,000 views. To those of you here who are subscribed, thank you. If you aren’t already, feel free to subscribe below :)

Here’s to a great 2020 filled with fun in the sky!

22 Likes

Definitely the opposite for me (although I flew in United Polaris)… it was my favorite flight this year! Sydney’s Terminal/gate area for my United flight was also amazing. High ceilings, a starbucks, 2 airport lounges (ANZ and SQ), and very friendly staff. I guess the gate area from which your flight departed from was very different?

1 Like

Looks like your year has been pretty fantastic!

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you able to fly so often?
I flew 24 flights in 2019, and tbh that was pretty high for me.

1 Like

That’s strict border control for you. Sydney is said to have the best terminal shopping experience in the world. But it’s fairly crampt and new terminals are planned. As well as a whole new airport since we can’t cope with one.

1 Like

Also I have to add, nice photos. I’m just a little confused about your flights:

Did you get that mixed up or…
And just to add, you could’ve flown with Qantas from SYD-DFW without the stopover if there wasn’t a reason in particular for the LAX stop :)

Some of the flights were on employee standby, so yeah.

1 Like

Gate 31, right here

Got a great view of the aircraft since it was right next to the food court windows.

Food court and post-security terminal area looked fine, but the actual gate wasn’t great.

I did lol, fixed it.

1 Like

Haneda is definitely one of my favorites too. It actually has an incredible 3 spotting decks. You probably flown what I fly every 7yrs

My gate was 51, and it was right next to a pretty big open space with a couple food shops, a Starbucks, 2 Star Alliance lounges, and some shopping if you’d have walked further ahead. Definitely a great airport experience for me, so maybe it’s just that the Oneworld gate area isn’t that great.

Damn it looks kind of hazy there too in the sky. Shame about these fires.

I’d assume it has something to do with this:

1 Like

Just gonna say it for the millionth time. I’m getting flexed on

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.