• Los Angeles
  • Aspen
  • Other

0 voters

Please tell me if I forgot some.

1 Like

LAX Is a nightmare at times!! … and San Clemente to be fair

2 Likes

I say San Clemente because on the training server it’s a nightmare with so many inbounds and outbounds using one runway. At least with KLAX you have 4 runways.

5 Likes

I agree with you all very much

It’s pilots on KNUC who scare me. Not the airport.
Why CIVILIANS AIRCRAFT into a MILITARY AIRPORT?

8 Likes

KLAX is definitely a nightmare

3 Likes

NUC, people always cutting you off on approach

3 Likes

LAX can be a controllers worst nightmare. Pilots think they know what they’re doing landing on the 6s and 7s when 24s and 25s are in use. You tell them to go around and they completely blow you off. One of the IF struggles is not having a functional ATIS system that requires pilots to listen to it before taxing or landing. It would keep everything more civilized and give controllers less to worry about.

You then have those pilots who only want to fly pattern work when you have arrivals stacked miles out. I can usually squeeze their traffic work in, but they always have trouble understanding what “Extend your downwind, I’ll call your base” means.

I still have yet to control at San Clemente, I’ll give it a shot tonight.

3 Likes

I don’t recommend you try San Clemente if you think KLAX is bad. KNUC is worse.

frustrating to Control as ATC: TFFR
frustrating to fly (read: park): KNUC

Yeah, one runway with 3(?) exit/entrance taxiways is not a good system for an airport with such a heavy load.

2 Likes

It’s not intended as a commercial airport. It’s a military airfield.

1 Like

I am well aware of that.

1 Like

I’m going off topic, pardon me, but can somebody tell me how much buffer atc should give to planes on final? I’m not going to come out blaming the tower but I had this experience today with a huge line to takeoff, steady stream inbound maybe 5-6 miles apart, nobody got cleared for takeoff. I ended up just quitting after 15 minutes so I don’t know how bad it got. Anyway- how far out does the next plane need to be to clear takeoffs? Isn’t that the point of ‘line up and wait?’

Depends on the plane, whether there’s a backtaxi, how fast the previous landed plane can exit the runway. There are many factors.

1 Like

No doubt, but assuming no back taxi, medium-wide bodies and pilots who know what they’re doing, what’s the ballpark for an ifatc? 3-4 miles? 5+? Really sure enough not criticizing, just want to know what a controller is referring to when they deal with these high traffic/single runway situations

1 Like

I used to fly into KNUC on training, I can’t even begin telling you how horrible that is

5 Likes

KNUC is terrible with the only runway exit at the end.

3 Likes

KNUC and KLAX, both overcrowded on TS.

3 Likes

Like @Tim_B said it depends on aircraft size and if the aircraft needs to backtrack. With people who know what they’re doing I can usually get them out when the other aircraft is on a 3 mile final. Usually 4-5 miles is the average though for everyone else. DM me if you have any more questions.