Most difficult landing

I flew an XCub in 22 kts crosswinds and landed it.

It went well, actually. Could’ve been a tad softer, but that’s what tundra tires are for!

2 Likes

Hardest landing? Probably when i had a 40kt crosswind, landing the A388 just below it MLW don’t exactly remember where it was awhile ago, but what’s fun is cranking the wind in solo and then trying to land

2 Likes

Landing IFR … MD-11F (Lufthansa Cargo) at UAAA Almaty Intl in Kazakhstan during a snow storm with extreme crosswinds 💨 and icy conditions on the runway ❄️. Very tricky to say the least🥶

1 Like

I know the sone from the top of my head.

I was landing in Santiago about a month ago with 65kt crosswinds. Managed to put her down safely…

2 Likes

Landing a C17 at Lulka

2 Likes

Landing at ROIG when the typhoon was raging.

3 Likes

Yesterday at YYDE there was a 35 knot crosswind. Lets just say I slid off the runway when I landed.

1 Like

Using APPR at UUYY (cuz of diversion) in a 787, slid off the runway and got a -750 vs

1 Like

Sounds like you had loads of fun and a slightly rough landing

1 Like

I one time was flying from Zagreb to Split with Croatia Airlines A319 and I had to land on runway 23. What makes this runway kind of difficult are the mountains. The only way to go on the Final Approach is to fly over the hill top located in the town of Split, and slowly work your way towards Split Airport by turning left and descending towards the Airport. But the first one I was in an angel so I had to go around and head towards the mountains and land with out an APPR. trust me if you had a 3rd party app on for instruments giving you signs and warnings. Jesus Christ, my plane was screaming so much that I barely heard the numbers going from 100, 50, 40 etc. I challenge you pilots to land at Split Airport on GPS Runway 23. But in the end there is always another happy landing. it would be nice to have an ATC at Split for that kind of approach.

1 Like

I was flying SQ285 to AKL. That day the weather was in the red. So you can imagine a 777 trying to come in for a landing with 50 GS (crosswinds were around 150-175 Knots). If I recalled correctly I think it took around 15 minutes+ for a 12 mile approach. At around 300ft AGL the winds suddenly went back to normal so you can only imagine how much time I had left to correct my landing and get the FPV to the runway. Conducted a go around and tried again. Landed safely at AKL before conducting the return flight back. I almost thought it would be the slowest landing I’ve done in the B77W (no need for reversers).

The next one is JNB airport. I’d classify this more challenging than difficult. Basically, JNB airport is about 5,558 ft AMSL so you can imagine approaching the airport on a B77W with dirty configuration, with about 210-220 tonnes, approaching at about 158 knots, but with GS being around 165 - 170 knots(it was headwind by the way). That was my fastest approach and landing I’ve done to date.

Probably for IF, it would be doing the Kaitak approach in an MD11 during an insane thunder storm. For X-Plane 11 it would be pretty much any approach that does not have ILS in low vis/storms.

Bruh you remember that

1 Like

I once had a winds aloft connection issue which had me stuck with at 150kt side/head wind. Atlas air 747, JFK-HNL, luckily landed safely with a ground speed of 65kts, vs of -400.

That was great!!!

1 Like

The Landing at Paro Airport in Bhutan was probably the hardest landing I’ve ever had to face. I had to do a go around before trying again and the second time successfully landing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.