Most annoying types of atc?

We have heard about the most annoying types of players but what about the most annoying types of atc that are mostly on training server

3 Likes

Flying over an airport at FL320 (that’s not even your destination) and getting spammed with on-guards. Yay TS!🤢

2 Likes

Waking up to “___ you’re in an active airspace, contact ____ on __.

4 Likes

This doesn’t necessarily pertain to TS, but controllers that try to micromanage your approach into airports that are not busy. Had a guy at OMDB a few weeks back decide he wanted to dictate exactly how he wanted me to enter the pattern with no other inbound traffic, instead of letting me follow my STAR in. Pretty annoying

10 Likes

Ok gang. We gonna need a whole lot of popcorn for this one.

13 Likes

Likely for a short cut and expedited arrival. No sense in flying an extended procedure designed for high traffic volume when there’s little to none.

6 Likes

Just ran over to the cinema and asked the 16 y.o. handling the popcorn machine if I could borrow it… shrugged his shoulders and said, “uh, ok, sure.”

Popcorn is a Poppin’

3 Likes

I can relate to that. It’s so annoying. Also when they always leave when you are about to land but I guess it’s not annoying cos they have lives as well

1 Like

The ATC controller who informs me my route is closed as I near the front of the departure queue, instructs me to taxi to a holding area to contact delivery for a new clearance with an EDCT 90 minutes later.

1 Like

This happens to me alot, im the only arrival and atc says continue as filed, Im prepared to approach and boom… I get turned off course for someone speeding on approach

I understand that, but I prefer to follow as closely as possible the track of the IRL flight I’m doing. I don’t expect the controller to know this, but it just kind of bugs me that sometimes they won’t let me do my thing in an empty airspace, especially when they issued a landing clearance almost 25 miles out from the field.

2 Likes

IFATC at busier airports (especially single runways) that are not managing throughput well.

1 Like

The track of the IRL flight will change every day and ATC, IRL, offers short cuts whenever possible. ATC, irl, will do everything possible to make short cuts happen and do on a daily basis.

ATC’s goal is to provide safe, efficient service. Efficiency is extremely important when it comes to ATC to keep airports moving, pax/cargo on time, and airlines happy without unnecessary fuel burn/costs.

Tower frequency only extends 25 miles – it may seem or feel like 25 miles, but you’re probably closer to 15.

If you’re looking to do your own thing in empty airspace, there’s plenty of non-controlled airfields or you could select an airport without ATC.

4 Likes

It’s hard to understand people sometimes.
Some are always crying about realism…waay too picky…but don’t like following atc instructions?
Just use TS or casual if you don’t want people telling you what to do. Atc is there for a reason. Do what they want…go around 10 times if instructed to…
Nothing will always make sense when people have different thinking in decisions. When your on their frequency you follow instructions period.

5 Likes

No. It was 25. I tuned in and did my approach call in and got cleared immediately.

Back when I was in IFATC, people needed to learn to start leaning on published procedures and actually reading the charts for the airport they were gonna be controlling. This is more applicable to radar, but there were folks who straight up didn’t care, with malice. There was so much opportunity for coordination and expanding traffic flow where if instead of basically clearing out the entire departure end of the runway, you gave departures an altitude cap. Then you could have people fly over them until they passed that area of potential conflict, which would be more in-line with how the airspace was designed to be used. But instead let’s do the snake conga line as usual (how exciting 🙄).

I guess with my anecdote above, the moral of the story is the controllers that annoyed me were those that refused to learn. The IF controlling guidelines are frankly quite bare bones, but you can add some of the expectations of the 7110 on top of it, which would make for a much more enriching experience for the pilots, and for yourself as a controller.

3 Likes

The ones not knowing their limit and thus providing poor service.

Followed by the „real“ experts that apparently know everything about ATC trying to justify they did provide poor service.

2 Likes

I understand that it’s completely up to the controller to decide which runway you’ll use, but what irritates me sometimes is when controllers in OMDB give me 30L for departure or 30R for arrival even when I’m the only aircraft in the airspace and I requested 30R for departure.

The worst is when you request for pushback requesting 30R, get approved for pushback without mentioning the runway, push back in a direction facing 30R and then get told by ATC to do a 180 and go to 30L.

5 Likes

Capping and tunneling are two frequently used Traffic Management Initiatives (TMIs) on a daily basis, irl, as part of severe weather avoidance plans (SWAP) and to get aircraft through constrained airspace.

Some airports, such as Chicago Midway, due to O’Hare and KORD Bravo Airspace proximity, employ these techniques in their established departure and arrival procedures to avoid conflict with KORD traffic.

Airspace management on IF is actually quite simple, compared to irl, as we don’t deal with severe weather, runway closures, radar outages, airspace closures, and other events which constrain airspace other than short term high (traffic) volume events. Even then, IF airports have higher departure and acceptance rates than IRL because we don’t have wake turbulence, real world separation requirements, wind shear, or other events requiring flow control and metering of traffic, such as miles in trail initiatives.

It would be helpful for controllers to read the the STAR arrival charts/procedures, as well as the DP’s (SIDs) and published approaches. The controllers who truly know the airspace and procedures provide the best, smoothest service by far.

However, there needs to be a balance as it would be unreasonable to expect controllers to have a high level of understanding of all airspace they operate in.

Finally, it wouldn’t hurt if pilots had a basic understanding of the airspace and procedures → a simple pre-flight brief with a quick chart review, prior flying a route. I know, that’s probably asking too much for the average pilot, but a little knowledge goes a long ways.

2 Likes

The only question I have is, did you check ATIS before requesting pushback?

1 Like