More Issues for Boeing? The 787 Whistleblower

Saying that you wish Boeing “bankruptcy” and that you will “never step on a Boeing again” is quite a radical statement considering there are only two main aircraft builders, that being Boeing and Airbus. You may find that your traveling routes may be limited if you really choose to never step onto a Boeing jet again. I talked to a dad at my school who is a 777 FO based in SFO, and living here in Austin. He was a FO and Captain on the 787 for United, and while he said it was a complete mess and catastrophe for Boeing, I think he summed it up well when he told me “there are only two major aircraft manufacturers in the world, Boeing and Airbus, and Boeing will get their act together”. He said he thought that in 6 months time, given they find a good new CEO, they should be back on track.

3 Likes

I can also say with confidence that you have most likely stepped on a Boeing plane before all these issues were brought to light, and you had no idea and therefore no concerns about it. I’m not saying that the problem doesn’t need to be fixed, because it absolutely does for everyone’s safety, but… I think this is a wee bit of exaggeration

3 Likes

I mean there are undercover recordings from the Charleston B787 plant where it was revealed Boeing has been using parts that weren’t functioning as intended and already „in the bin“ to not have to wait for replacements and keep on time. I am sure there’s quite some dirt left to be uncovered.

1 Like

Tbh, there is no wrong answer to how people should feel about this. You can either be against Boeing, support them, or be completely neutral, but we can all agree that Boeing needs a serious overhaul because the damage they’ve done will harm more than just their company. Even Airbus is worried that Boeing could do major harm to the trust of flying.

1 Like

Why doesn’t he live in SFO then. I’ve heard that a few pilots do that. I forgot the name of his channel but there’s a United B757 and B767 pilot who is on YT (quite well known but hasn’t been very active) who lives in Minneapolis but his commute is to Newark airport. Why is that how come pilots choose to live in a place so far away from their actual base

I hope so too. I hate to see Boeing the producer of many of my favourite aircraft’s in this mess right now. Any news on who their new CEO is? I am a bit behind in this Boeing CEO mess

I don’t know why you are asking me, a 17 yr old, who is not a pilot, why pilots don’t live in base. Have you ever heard of a thing called commuting? My dad flys for Southwest, yet we live in Austin. Why? Because we don’t want to live in Las Vegas where he is based. The dad who I was talking about has young kids at my school, and also has a construction business on the side, so he chooses to live in Austin to be able to spend time with his family and have to commute to work.

Basically, you have a choice whether to commute to work or not. My dad has higher seniority as a Captain based in KLAS vs being based in KHOU. Better trips, better pay, sacrificing having to commute to Las Vegas to start a trip.

Agreed, but from an economic standpoint, it doesn’t make sense and would be very negative if Boeing went bankrupt. Lives would be upended, jobs would be lost, etc.

1 Like

Yes but not on a scale that you fly everyday ( to be honest if I had to do that than I would love my job) my dad’s commute consists of a car to his workplace. He isn’t a pilot like many of your parents here so it’s a new thing for me to hear that pilots fly to their base and do their flying.

1 Like

Here is one of many sources

Look up Boeing self regulation and articles will be everywhere on it.

I understand. For example, my dad has friends who still live back in Atlanta, where I grew up, who are Southwest Captains who are based in KATL, and don’t have to commute. They may sit on reserve and fly when they called

1 Like

Yeah there is no need for Boeing to become bankrupt or anyone to wish bankruptcy on Boeing. Many companies have had worse downfalls than this no matter how big or small they are. I am sure Boeing will be reliable in the future and won’t cease to make amazing planes. Everyone has their good times and bad times

1 Like

Yea. Boeing’s impact on aviation is still less negative than them simply disappearing. Too many people depend on Boeing for income and travel.

1 Like

Its all about corporate greed. They want the most profit, and if they have to compromise safety to achieve it, well… money talks.

This problem reminds me of the film: “The Fugitive ( it’s a good film I recommend you watch it it has Harrison Ford) the big medical company falsified research to make a drug that can be approved by the government or something for money. I know it’s far fetched and how can that relate to Boeing but as @Kstate said it was all about corporate greed. It shows how honest and well trusted a company can be in order to stay at the top companies will do bad things.

Yet another example of corruption within the aviation industry XD…

Dude landed an airplane on a crowded taxiway and got a slap on the wrist. Any regular person would have at least been fined

Anyway, Boeing is a mess. They need new leadership, and a new mission.

1 Like

They need new leadership. With strong leadership comes a good mission.
If there is any industry that needs to have extremely high standards and expectations, it needs to be the aviation industry. Hundreds of thousands of people fly every day, and the responsibility falls back on the airplane producers to ensure their safety.

Here’s some of that footage from 10! Years ago already

I certainly know about self-regulation and the conflicts of interest, and the likely real deterioration in some standards that result. I was just referring to this particular news event.

I was under the impression from at least one of the sources, that for this issue, the FAA inspectors were on site doing regular inspections.

If this were true, it calls into question how this particular headline should be viewed.

1 Like

This could 100% be true. I made a general statement/observation that airplane manufacturers should not have the ability to deem their own aircraft airworthy. Boeing has proven time and time again that they can not be trusted with that authority.

1 Like