Monitor Ground on xxx.xx

The monitor ground instruction gives you clearance to taxi to parking from tower, and is usually used after exiting the runway. Generally this is used at controlled GA airports, though is sometimes used at smaller commercial airports. In my flight training experiences at Manassas Airport (HEF), they only use this when aircraft are taxiing after landing. It allows you to taxi to parking without needing to make any communication with the ground controller, unless they see that there is something that requires their intervention like a runway crossing, but those are usually handled by tower from my experience.

Example:

“Diamond 967CT monitor ground on 121.8, good night”

And the aircraft would respond:

“Monitor ground, 7CT, good night”

And they make no further communication with tower or ground, as their taxi clearance was approved and there is no need to ask twice if you were answered once.

How is this different from Exit Runway when Able, Contact Ground on the taxiway? :)

1 Like

To the best of understanding, It’s different than actually contacting the ground controller. You’re simply listening in case the controller tells you something while you’re taxiing.

7 Likes

Contacting ground is making communication with them, you have to let them know your intentions. This is just simply being on frequency with your clearance to parking already handled.

I personally dont think this is necessary in IF

Cool idea, used all the time. For example
“Ryanair 2 Juliet Alpha exit runway S-5 monitor ground on 121.8”.

2 Likes

I think what they mean by monitor ground is contact ground? In real life you do need to have communication with ground, otherwise how’d you taxi to your parking spot? Also sometimes you need to sort conflict, like give way to aircraft ahead etc :) The monitor ground phrase is cool. Contact ground is just normal but for me both have the same meaning (?)

This is not at all true, tower can easily give you clearance to taxi to parking. On all 6 of my flights so far, we’ve been told to monitor ground on 121.8 and we changed frequency but made no communication. That’s how it works. You monitor the frequency without interaction.

Obviously at busy airports with more than 7 or 8 aircraft taxiing or multiple taxiways on either side of the runway, it would be best for there to be communication, but other than that, not really.

2 Likes

Yea monitor ground would be awesome! It seems some people here don’t understand how it works and the benefits it brings though, which is unfortunate.

4 Likes

Personally love it. Don’t think it’s a big challenge to add. It’s just one extra command for tower control and especially nice when there’s no ground control!

2 Likes

This is actually meant to happen if there is ground control, because if ground were closed, there wouldn’t be a ground to monitor

I see. What happens if there is possible conflict? The ground will contact us on the same frequency?

I think this may apply on TS but on ES, especially during FNF and also daily hub staffed by IFATC, it may be a bit hard. With around 10-20 landing with just 2min separation plus the ground traffic, it may be hard. I did quite a few flights on ES incoming to hub and 80% of the time there is conflict on taxi from runway to parking :)

Just in my opinion :)

That is exactly why I said

3 Likes

Well, you are monitoring ground, which means you tune to their frequency and listen in, if there is a ground conflict they will just tell you to give way…

1 Like

Okay understood. Thanks for the clarification and great idea guys :)

Will try to free up a vote for this :)

1 Like

@Anthony_Morgan this also would be something at the controller’s discretion