Mitsubishi MU-2 series

Photo was taken by me

Information about the MU-2

The Mitsubishi MU-2 is a Japanese built Twin turboprop General Aviation aircraft built by Mitsubishi heavy industries

The government of Japan wanted a 300 knot light airplane that can land on short Runways, as well as on any rough surface.
The MU-2 was built to the Government specifications, which has a high load high wing design, with two Garret TPE331’s high wing mounted engines, along with a strong landing gear, which the aircraft is capable of landing in beaches if needed

Due to the high load wing, the designers opted for an all wing flap system, which had no room for Ailerons.
As a solution, the MU-2 is fitted with Spoiler deflectors the help the plane turn.
Along with the rather skinny wings, the Aircraft has two 98 gallon Tip tanks on each wing, along with two 30 gallon inboard tanks (the MU-2 can have up to 6 total Jet-A tanks)

This design allows the plane to fly faster and farther than any other jet turbine propeller driven aircraft in its class, outperforming the King Air.

Why the Mitsubishi MU-2 would be the best next GA plane

The MU-2 has a lot of unique flying capabilities to it. The aircraft has been misunderstood by a lot of pilots, and having the ability to land on short runways and rough runways makes the aircraft almost comparable to the PC-12.
This was also the first General Aviation aircraft to be built by a Japanese Manufacturer.

The aircraft has great range and is a great looking aircraft

My personal experience with the MU-2

As you all know, I am a line guy at PSM. We actually very rarely get an MU-2 into our airport. When we do, you can definitely hear the plane from across the airfield due to its rather loud engines.
Fueling them is a bit tricky.

If fueling the tip tanks, two people must nearly match the fueling speed so as to not overfill one side and cause the aircraft to tip which can cause damage.
Inboards are straight forward as usual.

I have toured the MU-2 as well at my hometown airport of MHT. The MU-2 can come in Glass or Steam cockpit.

I definitely would love to see this plane in Infinite flight!

Specifications (MU-2L)

General characteristics

• Crew: 1 or 2 pilots
  • Capacity: 4–12 passengers
  • Length: 12.01 m (39 ft 5 in)
  • Wingspan: 11.94 m (39 ft 2 in) including tip tanks
  • Height: 4.17 m (13 ft 8 in)
  • Wing area: 16.55 m2 (178.1 sq ft)
  • Aspect ratio: 7.71:1
  • Airfoil: root: NACA 64A415; tip: NACA 63A212
  • Empty weight: 3,433 kg (7,568 lb)
  • Max takeoff weight: 5,250 kg (11,574 lb)
  • Fuel capacity: 1,388 L (367 US gal; 305 imp gal) maximum usable fuel
  • Powerplant: 2 × AiResearch TPE331-6-251M turboprop engines, 579 kW (776 hp) each
  • Propellers: 3-bladed Hartzell HC-B3TN-5/T10178HB-11 fully feathering reversible constant-speed propellers, 2.29 m (7 ft 6 in) diameter

Performance

• Cruise speed: 547 km/h (340 mph, 295 kn) at 4,175 kg (9,204 lb) at 4,575 m (15,010 ft) maximum

• Economical cruise speed: 483 km/h (300 mph; 261 kn) at 4,175 kg (9,204 lb) at 7,620 m (25,000 ft)

• Stall speed: 185 km/h (115 mph, 100 kn) flaps down (Calibrated airspeed)

• Range: 2,334 km (1,450 mi, 1,260 nmi) at 7,620 m (25,000 ft) with full wing and tip tanks including 30 minutes reserve

• Service ceiling: 9,020 m (29,590 ft)

• Rate of climb: 12.0 m/s (2,360 ft/min) at sea level

• Take-off run to 15 m (50 ft): 661 m (2,169 ft)

• Landing run from 15 m (50 ft): 573 m (1,880 ft)

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_MU-2

It may not be demanding, but I think we need more small prop planes that can fly from place to place with no problem. You’ve earned my vote.

1 Like

that looks like a unique plane! would love to fly something different than usual.

One of if not the most dangerous turbo props out there. Hard to get insurance on them any more because of all the fatalities it has had over the years. Very poor wing design with spoilerons instead of ailerons making it almost uncontrollable in certain normal situations. However, they look and sound SO cool! IF definitely needs more GA and turboprop aircraft.

Bumping this. This Aircraft is very unique, fast airplane. This aircraft is worth a look for possible addition into the GA Turboprop Jet-A GA Aircraft.

Has some good range to it.

1 Like