Missile that downed Flight MH17 came from Russian military unit, investigators say

An international team of investigators says that detailed analysis of video images has established that the Buk missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 nearly four years ago came from a Russia-based military unit.

The probe “has come to the conclusion that the BUK-TELAR that shot down MH17 came from 53rd Anti-aircraft Missile Brigade based in Kursk in Russia,” Paulissen said.

The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, when it was was blown out of the sky over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed.

Russia has always denied involvement in the downing of the jet.

created web page CNN- May 23rd 2018

11 Likes

DEJAVU? like Korean Air Flight 007 on September 1, 1983?

7 Likes

This was SUCh a really sad AND devastating incident. May they rest in peace!

1 Like

This was pretty much known from the beginning. As usual nothing will happen and those innocent victims will have no justice. It’s unfortunate but Russia is Russia.

4 Likes

May i ask what the source of this investigation is. Except the fact that NTSB was there who else were there? And what news were first to report Russia is guilty, CNN, BBC, SkyNews?

I’m not denying the fact that Russia shot it down. I gonna stand at a neutral point here and i do know about the reports saying/confirming that a BUK-TELAR shot the plane down.

The Dutch were the ones investigating it and they have been the ones who reported their findings. So there is no bias and there was evidence that makes it pretty much guaranteed that it was Russia. Serial numbers from the missiles have been linked to the 53rd brigade. The Dutch have no reason to be biased in any way either.

6 Likes

My follow up question is was it intentional or a mistake? Did the Russians mistake the airliner for a Ukrainian plane, a threat to them?

That wouldn’t be known until after Russia admit it but likely from videos out there it was a mistake and they probably thought it was a warplane from Ukraine. However it could have been planned to shoot it down intentionally on the rebel side so people think it was the Ukrainians.

2 Likes

That could be true. Give the blame on their opposition would greatly benefit them as they pass away their blame on them as to show the world that Ukraine is bad doesn’t deserve any good. But on the other hand they could’ve shot it down by mistake as the tensions were high. So they did something like Korean Air 007 back in 1983… either way it’s very sad to hear about the poor innocent people passing away from such a deadly accident.

2 Likes

Saw it on the news a few hours back, now I am wondering whether we will ever find why they shot down MH17.
Speaking of Korean Air Lines 007, wasn’t that the crash that made Ronald Reagan make GPS a civilian service? Just saying…

My condolences and prayers go to the families and the loved ones who have been affected by this tragedy. :(

Watch this to learn a bit more about MH17

Whether Ukraines or Russians shot it down, we may never know. But we know it was an accident, they did not intend to hit a passenger plane

2 Likes

Do you think it was an accident? like what happen with Korean Air 007 on September 1, 1983?

I believe it was just like Korean Air 007 and Iran Air Flight 655

On Korean Air 007 case, Russia gave the black boxes to the NTSB like more than 10 years. Why not days or weeks? lol

Because the Soviet Union shot it down, not Russia. When Russia realised they had the black boxes they handed them over to improve international relations

This is a pretty controversial topic i must say, debating on who is guilty for shooting down MH17 has two sides. Those who support Russia and those who support Ukraine…

The same goes for these two mentioned down below.

The Questions: Was is intentional or by Mistake? Why did they shoot it down? Who is the real culprit behind these scenes? Has never been answered properly enough for me to acknowledge who’s really behind the actions. I personally without going to deep into this can say that i don’t think neither of those two: Korean Air 007 nor Iran Air 655 was shot down by mistake. In my honest opinion i just believe there’s something more to the story of those two events that are untold/unknown to the public, there’s something that is hidden from you and me to know. Buuuut for MH17 i think that one was a clear mistake because they simply shot it down without hesitating but again who was it? Russia or Ukraine? - Question unanswered!

Tell me wrong if you’d like to but that is what i think.

Korean Air 007 did also make some mistakes (Pillot Error), but the Russian didnt do the proper procedure to intercept KAL 007

That is very true. Korean Air did go miles off course and USSR didn’t have the right to shot it down as from the investigations it looks like 007 was out of USSR airspace and back on international. And the USSR fighter jet could clearly see that it was a Passenger plane once it was close to 007 but still they shot it down. Controversies…

All so sad…