Minimal nose wheel control on Runway

This request has been inspired by the latest flight cast episode where i heard Mark Denton talk a little bit of crosswind landings.He talked of pilots keeping the nose wheel up and use the rudder to steer the plane into the centerline since the nosewheel has minimal control or rather limited to a small degree of turn(real world pilots use tillers for large degree turns) But this is however not in IF…if you’ve noticed in IF Xwinds landings when you use the rudder to steer the plane into the centerline upon touchdown the plane will roll to whatever side you directed it to since the Nose wheel has almost a 90° turn…so for strong Xwind rudder input you might end up off the runway while you were initial perfectly centered…since our current rudder system is also the tiller…this is not a tiller request just minimal nosewheel turn when on the runway like IRL…listen to flight episode for more explanation!am probably too lazy to type all this!I just hope you understood. +Kindly dont comment if you never listened to the episode.Not trying to promote Flightcast it’s only that you may be in a better position to understand this request

16 Likes

Or you could use the rudder carefully as I do to control the aircraft without making any sudden unrealistic swerve

1 Like

This could be a good thing, at the same time not… What about if you perform a crab landing? Then you HAVE to have a pretty decent rate of turn on your nose wheel, in order to not roll off the runway…

3 Likes

Ofcourse we all use the rudder at least to our best…but it never always turns out perfect…Actually i’ve never been a victim but almost been a victim.We all see those players who struggle with this everyday…even doing 360 spins upon touchdown

1 Like

Well what I’m trying to explain is what is in real world.I think you’re a pilot¿right?so do what you do…I’m just trying to say it should be brought to the close thing

1 Like

Yes, I know. :) I’m not a real pilot, but I see your point… The pedals often has only 7-9 degrees of turn, while the tiller has close to 80 degrees.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Exactly!that’s it…changing the pedals to 7 or 9 degree turn ok for Nimrods who’ll say the rudder doesn’t work maybe we’ll increase that to 10-15!Cause I’m sure someone will report that!Oh i must say your profile picture is quite misleading hehe XD

1 Like

1 Like

Well done…this is it!but only on the runway since we don’t have a tiller

1 Like

1 Like

Just like the code that allows speeding above 35knots while on the runway maybe it should also try to limit nose wheel turns on runways!Not saying its a so called "copy paste"Just an idea as Mark said…i also dont know anything about coding

1 Like

LOL you have to spend more time on FF server…Nothing is impossible there

1 Like

3 Likes

In Infinite Flight, the use of the rudder doesn’t steer the nose wheel as long as the nose landing gear is in the air.

1 Like

Looking from a programmer’s perspective, they can probably inhibit/limit steering input from the rudder slider until below a certain speed (60-70 kn) on airliners. It seems that the rudder doesn’t move the nose wheel unless it’s on the ground. So adding another condition for nose steering lockout shouldn’t be too difficult.

I never quite noted that much on the a320 family. However I’ve had issue with the citation before i mastered it,F-16 which might get really unstable can say much about F22.All seems fine in a crosswind until that nosewheel touches down. The effect is different per plane

Just to clarify the difference between crabbing and de-crabbing, crabbing is when you apply rudder and pedals after touchdown, while de-crabbing applied it right before. :)

1 Like