Military Stuff at KCOS, FRI September 18

Thanks for clicking! I went spotting at Colorado Springs Airport on Friday. Colorado Springs is a large military town, where most work at Fort Carson for the Army, or the US Air Force at NORAD/Cheyenne Mountain. As a result, the area gets military aircraft traffic from all kinds of places.

Here’s the first aircraft, a Boeing KC-135R of the Air Force Reserve Command at March Air Reserve base.

The second aircraft was a Boeing C-17A Globemaster III, also of the Air Force Reserve Command, based at Pittsburgh IAP Air Reserve Station (on the grounds of KPIT, and I’m sure @KPIT is familiar with them)

The third aircraft was a Boeing E/A-18G Growler (one of ten!)

We then got a USAF C-40 (a modified 737-700)

and I couldn’t help but sneak this cool shot of a Frontier Airlines A320neo

Thank you for looking through these pictures! If you liked them, you’re always welcome to follow @denveraviator on Instagram, where I post lots of stuff from around the area: https://www.instagram.com/denveraviator/

What would you rate these?

0 voters

Feel free to discuss the aircraft, give me tips on how to improve, or whatever you like. Thanks again for visiting!

40 Likes

Whoa, haven’t seen you in a while. Nice shots!

2 Likes

First, nice shots, love the variety and rate catches!

Edit: second god dang it Andr-uwu

2 Likes

Second haha

2 Likes

Yeah yeah rub it in 🙄

2 Likes

Is it weird that I expect that C-17 gear to retract instantly?

7 Likes

It’s been a bit, hasn’t it? XD

1 Like

Not at all, I thought much the same lol

2 Likes

Okay lol 😂.

Other than that those are truly amazing!

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Not a Pittsburgh boy unfortunately but we’ve got the KCs too. Awesome to see one of our planes out there, always wish I could catch them. All this time spent trying to catch one of them in the pattern where there based and you got one all the way across the country smh… 😂

2 Likes

I feel you…there are some aircraft based in the area that I’ve never been able to try and catch

2 Likes

I’ve seen the KCs a few times and I see the C17s at altitude in the pattern but never been out there spotting. Actually a few weeks ago I was out walking and I heard a plane overhead that sounded weirdly loud but too quiet to be flying over at more of a pattern altitude, but then I caught a glimpse of two planes hooked up or one plane with four wings, one of our KCs was up at 17,000 feet but idk who was hooked up. Easily my best catch in a while. The KCs and C17s are so awesome to have based, too bad I’ve been missing them since I got my good camera but eh, some day right 😂

1 Like

Someday…I hear it’s pointless to try to spot military stuff on weekends

1 Like

I would agree if there wasn’t a KC-135 that landed on the other runway right as I pulled up to the airport today. It seems pretty split I’d actually say we might have more stuff on the weekends, but that said what we have based here is PA Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve so it’s not a lot of there full time jobs so that probably skews them towards training more on weekends.

That is also a good point! Guess it’ll just be sheer luck that will allow you to catch one of those C-17s.

1 Like

I tried to keep track of every time I noticed one fly over (which they don’t do much with where I live) or when I saw one on ADS-B exchange and I think I logged one at like 10am Saturday, 2 pm Tuesday, 8pm Thursday, 4pm Sunday, and kept going on at just random times and I was like yep not finding any patterns here 😂

I’m sure there is one like it’s got to be a little more than random but it doesn’t seem like much. I was out spotting and I heard someone call in as Air Force whatever the call sign was and I was so excited like about to catch a 135 or 17, then this little king air comes over and I’m like your kidding right 😂

1 Like

These photos are amazing!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Beautiful photos Jospeh glad to see your still alive on here

2 Likes