Military Flight Plan

When a military plane flies from point A to point B. Do they use the same flight paths as the commercial planes?

4 Likes

People don’t really know since their flight plans are concealed or blocked. Civilian Radar won’t be able to pick up the transmission from military aircraft. You can use any flight plan when flying a military aircraft.

4 Likes

It’s really unknown, I don’t believe they reveal their FPLs on radar or anything. But you can see and even copy their FPL in IF!

2 Likes

In Sydney, Australia 90% of the time RAAF does not file a flight plan however they usually do include airports and specific aircraft details. This is from FR24.

3 Likes

MaxSez: FAA does not govern military aircraft. The military has their own rules and regulations, “but the military follows FAA regulations when flying in [US National Airspace), MARSA May be applicable.
(exception: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airspace_System). There is airspace in the US and elsewhere that is set aside for military operations see NOTAMS or Restricted Airspaces.
Max Sends

4 Likes

Military don’t release any information on flights, it’s called OPSEC. Operational Security. We had a VC-25A at Elmendorf a few days ago and we saw it land, we don’t know where it came from I do know it went to JBLM and did some work down there, where it goes to next im not sure.

1 Like

Use https://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/mobile.html# you set the settings to military and you will be good to go.

2 Likes

Hello!

I am here today because I have a question.
When it comes to flying military aircraft, do they have to obey FAA regulations? And what allows them to fly their aircraft at higher speeds and altitude then commercial aviation.

2 Likes

Edit: I made a mistake. Yes and no, the military make their own rules but adheres to FAA rules when inside the US. The military does obey them when inside of US airspace. FAA is mostly civil and general aviation.

" However, FAA does not govern military aircraft . The military has their own rules and regulations , but the military follows FAA regulations when flying in National Airspace."

3 Likes

They also work super closely together, when the Dash 8 was hijacked a few years back F-15s broke super sonic speed with FAA permission.

3 Likes

Hi, military aircrafts do use flight plans, mostly coordinates. They are known by ATC (when one is available the military ATC) and / or they will use corridors and airspaces known and shown on VFR charts.

3 Likes

In short:

In long:
No, they often have assigned missions and coordinates they have to navigate to, especially during training. For longer flights it gets a little complex. Mobility aircraft such as the Herc and C-17 will file a flight plan the way commercial aircraft do, it just won’t be visible on FR24 etc. For Combat aircraft (your F-22s, Super Hornets and the like) they’ll use Navaids called TACANs to navigate. TACANs are basically a DME specifically for military operations. These are currently not in IF but there’s been talks among the Nav Editing team to see if there’s a way to add them.

Additionally, it’s not uncommon for both types of aircraft to fly VFR.

1 Like

They pretty much use the same NAVAIDS (except TACAN) as commercial guys. A lot depends on where they’re flying such as into a busy Class B or just from base to base. They always follow the FAA in the US and are instructed to respect foreign ATC unless it is detrimental to the mission then they must fly with “due regard” to safety of others.

1 Like

Let’s say a KC-10 is planning a flight from KLAX to an airforce base somewhere. Will they use sids of KLAX and fly the same flight paths as the commercial planes?

Well for starters they wouldn’t be flying out of LAX but I’d say (although I’m not 100% sure) they’d use SIDs unless there was an emergency and they needed to send it to get to their destination as fast as possible.

1 Like

I’ve seen C-130s in KLAX. Idk if it was an emergency or planned. So it’s not that unrealistic to use simbrief generated flight plans for military mobility aircraft?

1 Like

For mobility aircraft it’s quite realistic, but for fighters it’s a lot more realistic to either plan your flight yourself using only VORs and NDBs or just use SkyVector to find the bearing then track direct to your destination.

1 Like

I’ve been avoiding military aircraft since I thought using simbrief was unrealistic. I’ll start flying military when I’m back and flying in IF. Thanks;)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.