Mid flight refuel

Hello pilots so I was trying out a mid flight refuel as a refuelling tanker, when the pilot approached to refuel I opened the tank and he connected to the tank however he reported that refuelling didn’t commence we checked that both aircraft were capable of refuelling which they were however it didn’t happen, is their something we did wrong and that’s why we couldn’t refuel?

Thanks

JM192G

1 Like

how close were you to eachother?

1 Like

I’m assuming it was around 1-2nm

1 Like

I don’t think the C-17 can be refuelled…can someone confirm?

2 Likes

I don’t think so either since the C-17 is a legacy (old) aircraft

1 Like

Hmmm the pilot in charge of the c-17 was sure it could be refuelled, do you have any idea what planes can be refuelled mid air please?

1 Like

Confirmation: The C-17 does currently not have refuelling capabilities - when it is reworked it may receive it.

2 Likes

I believe its all the military planes except the C-17, P-38, Spitfire and the F/A 18 (ie the C130 Family, F14, F16, F22 and I think the A10 as well)

2 Likes

Are you using a water tanker to refuel?

3 Likes

No I was using a refuelling tanker that I selected from the list of aircraft and it was listed as refuelling tanker

1 Like

Hmm I’ll have a look at other aircraft and see if we can maybe try it again thanks 😁

Thats a water tanker. Anyway as Bennyboy said, the C17 can’t be refuelled

2 Likes

Ahhh maybe that’s why it didn’t work lol but it said on the aircraft selection, refuelling tanker 🤔

@JM192G the livery required for refuelling is the KC-10 Extender Livery. Plus the other aircraft needs to be a military aircraft with refuelling capabilities

2 Likes

Ahhh I see I’ll have a look for that later and try again thank you 😁

Just to make sure - BOTH aircraft need to have capability of refuelling (either to or from their tanks).

For example the KC10 can refuel the F22 but not vice versa, obviously.

2 Likes

And aircraft recieving fuel needs to be close to the refueler. 1-2 nm is way too far

1 Like

Thank you will try it again tomorrow night

1 Like

@JM192G… MaxSez: I routinely now just scan the forum for those classic “no nothing” posts that cause me to laugh out loud. Obviously utilizing a water tanker (fire bird) without a broom or hose drogue system to aerial refueling deserves a place in the 2020 rogues gallery. The17 responses thus far are icing on the cake. Barnum said it; there’s a sucker born every minute. Oh my!
MadMaxSends

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.