Mid-Air Fire from Phone Battery Averted on Sri Lankan flight

Found this on MSN via Microsoft Edge Browser. I am totally confused about it. How does a phone battery catch fire when it is storing and not using the power (except for a few milliamperes each hour to maintain the phone’s clocks)? Either the phone was left powered on or this is some new chemical reaction scientists and aviation safety agencies are yet to discover. And one more thing: anyone who says “It was a Samsung Note 7” or anything similar will have a flagged post for free.

2 Likes

It could have really been any phone if it had been used for a long time and was set by something flammable tbh

Glad everyone was Ok!

5 Likes

Glad they avoided that!

2 Likes

Firstly, it can be. Samsung recently released the new Samsung Note Fan Edition i believe…

There many reasons why, the phone could have a faulty battery? The phone was in a very hot spot? The phone could’ve been provoked to do so? It could’ve been using some knock off battery?

Please in future don’t be so narrow minded regarding this. Thanks.

Glad no one was hurt, and that this situation was dealt correctly.

8 Likes

It was a Samsung Note 7.

Not too sure why that’s not a possibility, as Samsung devices have had a history of doing so.

7 Likes

Well use the note 7 as an example. Lithium ion batteries are very dangerous if not protected. If the phone was damaged or faulty then it’s a possibility that was the cause. Most fires will be linked to it having an issue or being thrown around too much which damages the battery.

1 Like

Sorry, but Samsung took matters in to their own hands, and has handle the Note 7 problem. The remaining Note 7s that did not caught fire were replaced with a smaller 3,200mAh battery and renamed to Note Fan Edition. Remember, even your phone has a chance of catching on fire. To this day no Note Fan Edition or S8 has ever caught on fire and during temperature test both phones stayed the coolest and each Galaxy phone are tested before shipping out into the world for saftey.

3 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t specifically saying that only the Note 7 could do that.

Each phone is tested? And none have caught on fire? Bold claims there. 🙄 Most of which are completely false.

Please don’t say that unless you have proof of it. I warned you at the first post.

Sorry but I’m triggered as a Samsung Fan 😛

And I believe Note 7’s population has decreased significantly as Samsung has asked the Note 7 owners to return their Note 7. I’m sure only 1% of the owners that still keep it. As Note 7 is no longer can be used by now

I’m sure Samsung has learned their mistakes and hopefully they can take the lesson during the making of Note 8. Always look forward and I’m sure Samsung has a pretty good safety records despite this

I’m glad that everyone were unharmed due to this

2 Likes

Are you guys gonna talk Samsung Note 7 or the incident itself? Just wondering… 🙄

8 Likes

Sorry, we will get back on topic. 😉

1 Like

But if there is a fire on a plane, I assume they will handle it. Its not like your Samsung is going to explode like the death star.

I always get concerned about the number of battery components in stored luggage. A rogue battery in a razor next to someones clothes could be dangerous. I assume pilots have a contingency plan for that as well.

2 Likes

To follow up with your post I have some helpful info that I can add. One pilot that I listen to is a freighter pilot for Atlas, he’s on the 74. He says that he gets very nervous during some of his flights because he knows that there are pallets full of lithium ion batteries back in the cargo hold. He’s never talked about a contingency plan for his situation. However, another pilot that I listen to (these are podcasts by the way) is a captain for Virgin, he flies the A330 & 340. They in fact do have a contingency plan. The flight crew are supplied with special gloves for handling the device, as well as a special case to lock the device inside which essentially attempts to snuff the runaway process and contain the battery.

Edit/Additional: I figured there’s no harm in citing my sources. The 74 F/O is named Rick Ruiz, you can him on Twitter @miami_rick and the Virgin captain is named Nick Anderson (former RAF as well, he’s got some great stories) and you can find him on Twitter @oldplot

2 Likes

I hear it’s quite common also. About 99% of them won’t end up in the news though.

2 Likes

Thank goodness, it didn’t cause a huge incident 😊

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.