Mid-air Collision

Last week I flew from Tokyo to Bangkok using an ANA 78X. I took off, turned on the autopilot, went about my day and came back to my phone in time to land.
As I was reviewing my flight footage (as I usually do to check my takeoff and landing) I happened to stumble on something peculiar: a Thai Airways 777-200 coming straight at me at FL340. I knew I was flying at the correct altitude because I was flying at a southwesterly heading. The other guy was flying towards the northeast, which means he should have been at an odd number flight level (e.g. FL330 or FL350).

Previously, when I saw people flying at the wrong altitude, I didn’t think much of it, but now that I’ve gone headfirst into a Thai 777, my mind is starting to change.
I decided to post this on the community to see what kind of ideas can come from having a general discussion about this.

10 Likes

Damn I’ve never something like this in-game. Like you, I’ve always been annoyed when people flew at the wrong FL, but I never thought collisions actually happen like this.
I think they should add some kind of warning when you’re flying at the wrong altitude.
They could add a traffic alert sound but the problem is that nobody sits in front of their device, looking at the game all the time.

2 Likes

This kind of thing has happened to me too. @Ecoops123 had said this at the time, which is pretty sage advice, if you’re at your device:

Just bask in the fact that you’re the better pilot, I guess.

3 Likes

that is rare

1 Like

no one even looks at the screen in the middle of the flight so who cares

1 Like

Well some people do.

7 Likes

Like me 👁️👄👁️

1 Like

Some people do , but I start to notice when people see it about to happen they just let it happen which I dont know why , in that situation I would advise you climb to FL360 , unless you were seriously heavy .

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking they could add some kind of popup message in the game. Because this kinda thing is useful even when you train for PPL and stuff. Or maybe like an instructional video.
Like not everyone watches Captain Joe or Mentor Pilot.

1 Like

Well the issue is that I wasn’t at my phone when it happened. I just happened to stumble across it as I was reviewing footage.

1 Like

The semi-circular “rule” is not a rule, but a rule of thumb. It’s not the be all ends all. And although it is advised, it can be ignored. Operational flight plans from Simbrief or fpltoif, as well as IRL, may call for an altitude that doesn’t follow that suggestion. Some countries have a North/South, apposed to an East/West, system. My point is is that the other pilot is not necessarily in the wrong, neither are you of course. I’m not saying that the ‘rule’ doesn’t exist, or that it shouldn’t be followed, but rather that pilots do not have to obey it.

2 Likes

Yeah I know what you mean. I just happened to stumble across it by mistake. But it’s kinda off putting for some reason.

There should be a warning that comes on if you are cruising at the wrong FL.

1 Like

I also get so annoyed when people go the wrong direction on the NATs lol