Michael_Sides1’s ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @

I may or may not join, depending on my schedule and how long it’ll take to complete them. But I’ll try my best and see what happens.

CAPTAIN MICHAEL HERE,
I will be opening KBUF ground and tower. I REPEAT I WILL BE OPENING KBUF GROUND AND TOWER COME BY AND FLY
SEE YOU ALL IN THE AIR PILOTS

ATTENTION CAPTAIN MICHAEL HERE, requesting approach controller assistance at kbuf please

ATTENTION CAPTAIN MICHAEL HERE, VHHH is now reopened. I apologize for opening kbuf but at the time I came back someone in the had control of this airport

This is Captain Michael,

RJTT IS NOW OPEN FOR TOWER AND GROUND!
THIS WILL BE THE LAST OPENING ANNOUNCEMENT! RJTT WILL BE THE NEW AIRPORT I WILL BE COMMANDING! REQUESTING IMMEDIATE APPROACH AND DEPARTURE ASSISTANCE!

Michael, you don’t really need approach and depature because when you’re doing the ATC practical exam you will only control tower and ground by yourself with 4-5 aircraft without assistance from approach or depature, but… yeah.

1 Like

Hello Michael_Sides1! My username is Humars and my callsign is N687HS, I was one of the attendants for your session today. It has been a chaotic flight towards the end, but not to forget here’s your general feedback:

Strengths:

You did exceptionally well! Most of the requests were answered correctly in a timely manner!

Improvements:

When I requested to taxi to runway 16R you only said “N687HS, hold short of Runway 16R”, the correct command is: “N687HS, taxi to runway 16R, contact tower when ready.”. The hold short command should only be used when an aircraft is at the hold short line, has requested takeoff and you need them to wait, the hold position command should only be used if you need to prevent a collision or for some other reasonable purpose (like if there is a gate hold in effect, etc). Also, just to clarify as I don’t know if this command was used appropriately but you should only use immediate takeoff if: There is an aircraft on final and a aircraft that is a medium-haul or long-haul aircraft is requesting takeoff (correct me if I’m wrong), etc.

Also, when I was on final for runway 16R, you told me in midair to exit the runway. You should only do that once an aircraft has safely landed and reached to a safe speed of around eighty to one hundred (80-100) knots. If you want to expedite the exit runway command, then tell it at around one hundred and ten (110) knots or less (correct me if I’m wrong).

Also, if an aircraft is remaining in the pattern they are supposed to be staying on your frequency. Not being handed to depature or neither approach. You should only initiate a frequency change to depature if the aircraft is flying to another airport.

I recommend you read this tutorial below and watch the video to know what to expect in the ATC practical test, along with watching other tutorial videos related to ATC if you are struggling. Otherwise, you did well and hope to see you in your next session!

P.S.: If you see anything wrong with the information being provided, I’m open to constructive criticism.

Also, apologizes for my extremely bad landing. I’ll make sure to be careful next time to land my aircraft properly, this extremely bad landing doesn’t happen too often.

1 Like

You can give this command to small aircraft, too. If you have a 737 ready to go and an aircraft on a 3 mile final, it’s probably a bad idea to not request immediate takeoff and then desperately hope that the 737 is airborne before the aircraft on final crosses the threshold. ;)

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying, but I also believe in looking ahead and I also judge it by how many aircraft I have on the ground and in the air at the time and how many aircraft I have inbound for landing at which strip, in this scenario along with you I had multiple other aircraft requesting the same airstrip in which case I initiated exit runway command and at the same time I had multiple aircraft on the ground awaiting taxi and texing so to be sure that I don’t forget to issue the command and also to avoid confusion and collisions I go ahead and initiate the command at this point it’s a way for me to keep ahead of the game when traffic is getting busy. And I also I am open to constructive criticism I’m always trying to get better and it could help. @Humars

Normally I don’t, however I’ve had so many aircraft just today request taxi took the sific airstrip and then quest change frequency, so I started to contact tower command. I don’t think some people realize that they get initial clearance to change frequencies

This session is now closed, anyone who flew my airspace please give feedback with full honesty any tips would be appreciated thank you for flying with me

I understand that for most of the commands you can give it as a beforehand clearence, however for some of the commands it requires it to be issued after the action has been done. Like for an example: A plane has sucessfully landed on the runway, after they reach to a safe speed of eighty to one hundred (80-100) knots you issue the exit runway command. However, issuing it in midair isn’t realistic or something that an Air Traffic Controller would do.

1 Like

Thank you, I won’t issue it like that again.

If this happens again, remember: you can always tell them that it’s a duplicate frequency change.

This command is the last command in the “misc” section, and is useful because you can help other pilots learn that they’ve already been instructed to change frequency. :) Hope it helps!

1 Like

Yes this definitely does help I’ll be sure to use this next time I didn’t even know it existed!

2 Likes

Captain Michael here!

Hey guys, I am now open at KSFO! Please give feedback after flying with me each time, I am self training for IFATC!

Come by and fly!

I might come down in a bit if your still open by then. I might just do a quick hop from San Jose. 🙂

I just came into KSFO with you controlling but unfortunately experienced a weird scenery glitch which would not resolve after clear cache. Anyways, you did pretty well. In the end all you forgot was to tell me to exit the runway. 👍🏻

1 Like

I’ll be stopping by, N25513. (Just a side note, try to open an airport that isn’t that busy so we can focus on your skills without anyone interfering) Sorry I had to leave. I’ll come back later if you’re still open.

If you can write me back telling me your call sign and come back through would love to have you more