Miami to Cape Town?

Does anybody else get bored of flying the usual routes they do? Well probably just me tbh. And there’s is NO doubt that some routes should exist but currently don’t for a variety or reasons, it could be for connections between the city pairs being connected, tourism or it would just be “cool to see” well this route is mainly for the latter 2 since there really isn’t much these 2 cities have in common but if this does happy anytime soon, it would be the COOLEST thing to happen to Miami 🏝️😎 but what route am I thinking of 🤔

MIA → CPT!

Yeah from MIA to Cape Town, South Africa 🇿🇦 getting there from the 305 🏝️😎 as of June 11th, 2024 requires a stop in a major European hub like Heathrow, CDG, Frankfurt etc… or you can go via Atlanta, Dulles or Newark since Delta and United fly to CPT from those airports respectively. American Airlines which has a hub here in MIA is a bit on the downside in terms of service to Africa, they don’t even fly to ONE airport there, they did plan to fly to Casablanca, Morocco 🇲🇦 in 2020 but never happened due to not only a certain virus basically closing down the borders between countries but also saw AA downsize their fleet and route network with the aircraft planned to fly this route, the Boeing 757-200 being retired. Cape Town is a big destination for tourists and it would be cool to see American get into the competition from flights from the US 🇺🇸 to CPT and I picked Miami 🏝️😎 for the departure airport mainly because it’s their closest hub to South Africa 🇿🇦 and flew it with a Boeing 787-9 since this route would be PERFECT for the new flagship suites but let’s get this journey started!

FLIGHT INFO

Origin: Miami Intl 🇺🇸 (KMIA)
Destination: Cape Town International 🇿🇦 (FACT)
Flight Time: 12:52
Boeing 787-9 (American Airlines)
Server: Expert

Well I didn’t fly this since I was in the Maldives 🇲🇻🏝️ on vacation as you know but my twin brother, 1StopAviation who I tasked to babysit by pet gator 🐊 Billy while I was gone. Was bored and thought to himself

“Let’s fly to Cape Town!”

He called me and I was like okay and I asked him wha airline and he said American and I was like, what they don’t fly there but he told me his plan at first I called him crazy but I supported his experiment so I got HIS permission to share his photos from the trip. But here they are at gate D22 where the B789 they will take down to South Africa 🇿🇦 is waiting for them after being sent from Philadelphia.

He apparently invited all of this friends which I told him wouldn’t be a good idea but he still did it anyway, but one friend Mickey will be seated
in 5A in the flagship business cabin already using the new flagship suites since I did say it would be perfect for this route. 🤷‍♂️

Since this dummy thought inviting a whole gang on this would be a good idea, he had a pretty tough take off and almost used the ENTIRE runway. But apparently MIA airport thought his mission was so cool that they gave him special permission to use Runway 12 instead of 8R so now that we are airborne,

We still got a LONGG way to go! 😆

After a gorgeous climb out of Miami 🏝️😎 they reached their initial cruising altitude of FL290 due to the weight of the aircraft, the smartest thing they have done so far 🤣 but it was expected to be a smooth ride and I checked up on them every once in a while to make sure they were okay but here is Mickey’s view of this GORGEOUS sunset! 🌅😍

3 hours later, it was a peaceful night a bit off the coast of Guyana 🇬🇾 everybody was asleep, 2 other passengers who had pilot licenses took over the controls while my brother and Billy went to bed and I made sure they were good and thankfully they were!

As this equally gorgeous sunrise was occurring, Billy and my brother went back to the cockpit for the remainder of the flight as they are getting closer and closer to Cape Town.

After 13 hours of flying, South Africa 🇿🇦 was finally in view and it was time for them to begin the approach into CPTs RWY 1!

After that they would turn left downwind before turning base over False Bay before turning final and my brother said quote.

“As soon as the wheels came down, I had my conclusion”

And soon enough, the flight was over and their experiment with nonstop flights between Miami 🏝️😎 and Cape Town, South Africa 🇿🇦 was a SUCCESS everybody seemed happy even the airport officials and they were granted a water cannon salute upon arriving,

What a sweet way to end such a great flight!

Since American doesn’t have any slots in CPT, they parked in a remote stand across from the main terminal and took so many pictures. Many airport and even Cape Town officials came out to celebrate the moment with them!

Now that the experiment has passed, I unfortunately still don’t see this happening anytime soon like I said American hasn’t even applied for slots here but if they do consider it and even announce that it is coming, it would make me a happy panda 🐼 I’m glad you guys enjoyed my brothers experiment of non stop service between MIA and CPT, stay tuned for the beginning of MY journey back home from the Maldives 🇲🇻🏝️ and as always between now and the next time, see you in the sky! 😉👋

13 Likes

Very nice topic - good photos as well!

3 Likes

Beautiful photos, There is actually a direct flight from MIA to CMN!

1 Like

Very nice pics! 👍

1 Like

Yeah I know, just forgot to mention it for some reason

This is safe

1 Like

Indeed :)