Mexico City airport closed

México City airport has been closed after a 7.1 earthquake hits the city. I heard that the Tarmac and/or the runway have cracks and holes.
http://m.apa.az/en/world-news/america-news/mexico-city-international-airport-suspends-operations-after-strong-earthquake.html

This picture isn’t mine, but it shows the entrance to Terminal 2

9 Likes

Please change this to the #real-world-aviation catagory please :).
Edit: Thanks allot!

2 Likes

Sorry, it’s only my second post , I forgot!!

2 Likes

Thats alright, now speaking on the topic maybe provide more info rather than an article. Very intresting how the airport closed, and may the victims of this quake recover and the dead rest in peace!

1 Like

This is so terrifying, I live two hours from LAX and the “big one” can happen at any time. Imagine if LAX had to shut down.

6 Likes

Yeah it really is terrifying, I have seen actual videos of buildings collapsing, which are really scary. It looks like they’ve been demolished as it is so sudden. I decided not to upload them, since people may find them upsetting( and they’re not related do aviation, so won’t be allowed).
If anyone is curious though, you can message me but I must express that although they are by no means graphic, they are very shocking.

3 Likes

It looks terrible. Out in Lusaka I don’t have those earthquake threats, but a constant threat of an earthquake sounds horrifying!

1 Like

Same I live like 20 minutes away from LAX

1 Like

Not surprising if it got hit by a magnitude 7 Earthquake, would love to hear the ATC, I’ve heard the LAX atc when an EarthQuake struck there a few years back

1 Like

California is expecting a 8.3 I believe.

1 Like

There’s no predicting earthquakes…

6 Likes

Where’d you get that info from?

5 Likes

Mostly from school, every month we have a earthquake drill.

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic. What kind of school tells students that an earthquake is being predicted

Since I have no explanation, here’s something to learn :).

earthquakes are impossible to be predicted past around maybe a few minutes before.

3 Likes

I agree its pretty much impossible to predict earthquake and how big they are going to be. Only thing we can do is observe the shifting plates. Either way lets get back on topic. ;)

It is based off what @PixelToast said.

Hoping all our Mexicanos in the community and their friends and family are safe.

4 Likes

I didn’t say anything about predicting earthquake. Now. PLEASE BACK ON TOPIC! Let’s not get this topic closed.

3 Likes

I hope they stay safe too. I have a lot of family there!

1 Like

It’s open again. We had a LH748 divert here (IAH), but it’s on its way to MEX.

1 Like