Metric Flight Levels

Just prepared a Simbrief flight for tomorrow flying from the UK to Hong Kong. Clearly, this will take me threw airspace using the metric system. SimBrief says I should fly at FL1005. What does that mean? 10050m? I tried looking it up, couldn’t find much, and to be honest, I’m a really busy so would appreciate if someone could quickly explain. Thanks!

1 Like

Wait, does it say FL105 or FL1005?

1 Like

It starts at FL330, then as it goes into Urumqi (ZWUQ) FIR and beyond, it goes to FL1005 (yes two 0s).

1 Like

Neither of FL105 nor FL1005 much sound like a cruise flight level actually.

FL105 looks like a SID or STAR altitude restriction (unless out of airport vicinity, in which case it would be a NOTAM restriction).
Regardless, FL105 is 10,500ft.

FL1005 seem like a crew dragon flight level as this would be 100,500ft, on its way to the Karman Line :)

1 Like

In that case, plan for enough oxygen for you and your passengers my friend! You’re in for some very beautiful scenery up there, enjoy!

Joke aside, and being a SimBrief fanatic, it looks like an error to me. But maybe someone will have a more relevant explanation. Good luck!

1 Like

As you mentioned, once entering Chinese airspace, altitude measurements change to the metric system. In your case, that would be 10,050 metres which is about 33,000 ft.

There is a tutorial for this:

How to fly in China Airspace

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.