Merry Meiringen & Swiss Hornets @ LSMM

Once upon a time, there was an air base in the middle of the Swiss Alps…

In continuation of my previous topic, the journey around Switzerland, Austria, and Germany (joined by @AndrewWu, @Transport_Hub, and @Altaria55) continues with a visit to the military version of Innsbruck known as Meiringen Air Base, Switzerland. Meiringen is an extremely spotter friendly airport with fences only 4-5ft high and friendly military police. This air base is home to two fighter squadrons, Fliegerstaffel 11 “Tigers” (F/A-18C/D Hornets) and Squadron 8 “Destructors” (F-5E Tigers).

Unfortunately, the F-5E’s wouldn’t be flying until a few days after but a last minute radio call got us to stay for a lucky and unexpected stop of one. The Swiss F-5 fleet is expected to be retired by next year, but luckily I captured a couple more at Payerne Air Base. Meiringen is an airport I’d definitely like to take a trip back to some day. Enjoy!

Fligerstaffel 18’s flagship fighter leaving in late evening light.

A series of afterburner + vapor trails

The STBY 121.50 is for when intercepting of an airliner takes place, the pilots will read the drop tank and tune to the frequency in the case of a radio failure. Pretty neat!

An F/A-18C recovering shortly after the morning launches.

An F/A-18D leaving the hidden bunker within the mountains.

A cool and unique visitor: A German Air Force CH-53GA!

Surprise visitor! An F-5E Tiger II releasing the chute upon touchdown.

Gear

Canon Rebel EOS 250D
Canon Rebel EOS 450D [OLD]
Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3
Tamron 100-400mm F/4.5-6.3
Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod

Social Media

Instagram
JetPhotos
YouTube

39 Likes

This is what Newark residents think New Jersey looks like.

10 Likes

This is indeed what Newark Terminal C regional gates look like.

3 Likes

Correct statement, trust me I am intimately familiar with Terminal C regional gates.

2 Likes

Not exactly 121.5 is the worldwide emergency frequency and is also used when aircraft are intercepted most aircraft are constantly monitoring 121.5

Correct, but I don’t see how I’m wrong either.

Some pilots aren’t aware that they aren’t tuned to 121.50, hence the drop tank as a visual way to get it across.

You’re always wrong

1 Like

that’s fair

Amazing shots. The first one is my favorite

1 Like

Awesome photos

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.