Melbourne ATC Hacked: Virgin Flight Aborted Landing

Melbourne Airport Air traffic control transmissions have been hacked 15 times in the last two weeks. A Virgin Australia flight was forced to go around after they were given false commands by an unknown hacker. The importation and use of transmitters is strictly prohibited for use by unauthorised controllers and tighter policies are being placed on them. The Australian Federal Police is currently investigating the matter, as the hackers can still take control of the frequencies.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/hoax-call-forces-virgin-air-plane-to-abort-melbourne-landing/news-story/35ff9afc719b5a3cd07223fc56d5a279

8 Likes

Oh dear, that could have caused huge problems.

10 Likes

Yes, the Virgin flight had to perform a tight go around close to the runway.

2 Likes

Saw this on Sunrise this morning, I start to wonder how it happens, it makes me start to wonder how secure Australian ATC frequencies are

2 Likes

Or how secure any frequencies are! Anyone with a transmitter setup could do this.

1 Like

You would think there would be an investigation into this

1 Like

There is, by the Australian Federal Police at the moment. I think the ATSB will get onboard too.

You would think the AFP would also be having a good look at other major Australian airports eg Sydney to make sure this type of event never happens again

1 Like

I herd about this earlier today. Notice how all the links contain Virgin aus?!

1 Like

It took place on secret city two, on the TV show they had to have an American ship take control of ATC. And a380 was landing in Canberra too!

2 Likes

That has been the only major incident so far

1 Like

Did it go to Avalon then? Perhaps because they’re still using Windows XP.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is all at Tullamarine. I could be wrong.

1 Like

I meant diverting there.

1 Like

No, it went around and landed safely at Tullamarine.

Here is a video of another transmission:

The hacker was pretending to be in a light aircraft with an engine failure.

1 Like

On another note, here is another ATC transmission unrelated to this recent incident. A little crazy I must say…

1 Like

Probably has a bathtubs in the tower

2 Likes

I thought that at first haha

Stuff like this makes me think that we’ll eventually lose sources like ATC.NET one day.

1 Like