1 Like

It means when you do smooth landings 😉

butter on the runway”

8 Likes

It just means a very very Very Very soft landing

10 Likes

What I just did at NZHN with @Trio. 😉

4 Likes

It means they made a bad landing. So if someone always brags about how they “butter” landings, you know they suck at landing. (;

This is a #joke

1 Like

When you hear him say butter, he’s likely referring to this.

THIS IS BUTTER. It has nothing do to with landing or aviation. Period.

Essentially, when people say butter the landing, you are correct, they butcher the landing. The correct terminology is grease. IF you have the skill to grease a landing then you’re a good pilot. @Swiss Take note for the next YouTube video. 😃

63 Likes

^ Butter on the Bread…

You’re Welcome… You’ve all been blessed
13 Likes

We all know all of you butter the landing by stalling the plane over the runway😂

9 Likes

I buttered my landing at CLT yesterday, just ask @Tom_Grollman

6 Likes

heres a chart i use on the daily:

Landing smoothness chart

Substantial spine injuries : -700 fpm
Co-pilot’s retainer fell out : -400 fpm
Like cold toast : -300
Marmelade : -200
Smooth : -150
Butter : -100
Creamy : -50
Silk : -10
moaning : -1

34 Likes

No you didnt. You greased your landing. Buttering landings doesn’t exist. It’s a fairy tale.

13 Likes

I always thought “butter” was something only sim pilots (non actual pilots) said.

12 Likes

Not you didn’t. You most definitely crashed the plane and slid off of the runway. Just ask @Dillon_Lewis who was flying over head en route to DCA.

5 Likes

So referencing Swiss 001, Ryanair never grease or butter the landing. Is that right?

4 Likes

That’s not fair to say in my opinion. I think people jump on the exaggeration band wagon!

6 Likes

Honestly, who cares what phrase pilots use to refer to a smooth landing? We use idioms everyday that make no sense when you break them down into their actual context. People get too uptight about language, when language is supposed to be expressive, not fixed.

2 Likes

All you guys talking about buttering a landing got @Swiss ‘s song stuck in my head. Anyway, buttering the bread is as said above, smooth landing! ;-)

3 Likes

Greased makes it slippery which means you slip off the runway

2 Likes

All this talk of butter makes me want to go buy some waffles.

8 Likes

We all know butter the bread but what about greasing the grease traps?

2 Likes