MD-12 Full Double Decker Aircraft (Before the A380)

Believe it or not but in the early 1990’s an idea of full Double Decker aircraft was an idea by the McDonnell Douglas Company, the aircraft design was a aircraft that that had a full two floors for passengers, Unfortunately the aircraft never made it. The first flight of the MD-12 was to take place in late 1995, with delivery in 1997. Despite aggressive marketing and initial excitement, especially in the aviation press, no orders were placed for the aircraft. MDC lacked the resources after Taiwan Aerospace left the project. A new double deck wide-body has proved to be extremely expensive and complex to develop, even for the remaining aerospace giants Boeing and Airbus, although the massive Airbus A380, a similar concept to the MD-12, was later brought to fruition. The surrounds the questuion of why companies such as Boeing and McDonnell Douglas never made it. Even Boeing had the idea of of this type of aircraft the Boeing NLA. Even if something at the time was not that advanced, why did they not carry on the idea in the future when something like this is possible? Its too bad that these were never successful aircraft, they would have been very successful.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_MD-12

20 Likes

Wasn’t MD bought by boeing?

If it was, thay means the MD-12 Was a plan, and Airbus ‘copied’ the deisgn?

3 Likes

Very Possible
The Boeing NLA looks like this:

5 Likes

Airbus did copy the plan, MD was going to make it but they were bought by boeing and they did not make it.

2 Likes

Just imagine this aircraft flying around

1 Like

If you look at where the cockpit was placed in-between the two decks it probably was

1 Like

To be honest, I think it looks really ugly. The A380 looks a lot better I say.

5 Likes

Keep in mind this was in the 90s, when Toyota Camrys were the 💩

4 Likes

Well this was made in 1990ish.

Boeing had the idea before Airbus. The thing is, Airbus got the fame because Boeing canceled their “similar” project.

3 Likes

What if this was in IF that would be cool

I never liked the look of double decker planes

2 Likes

The first double decker aircraft that moved from projection to prototype was the KR-860.

A plan is simply a plan nothing more, if you don’t go through with it, it’s usually because you can’t do it or see it through. Airbus were successful in this plan and I wouldn’t call the idea of a double decker copying k mean it’s a simple and basic idea just add another deck, it’s been done on buses for years! Airbus managed to do it and Boeing couldn’t, nothing more to it

1 Like

Even a 747-8 or 400?

They thought of it but it was well implemented by Airbus and also since MD was bought by Boeing… It’s future wasn’t that bright after all.

Boeing did make another double decker. It was called the B377 Stratocruser.

It wasn’t a proper full two decks though, it was more like one deck then they had passenger seating in the cargo hold

And before the MD-12 there was the Sukhoi KR-860! :p

5 Likes

Well let’s not go into the “who copied who” discussion because we simply never know what went through :) Only thing I have to say is the MD-12 does indeed look way better imo in terms of looks compared to A380! At the end of the day, such super-jumbo jets are are starting to become extinct in our days with companies slowly removing them from their fleet. So sad…

1 Like