McDonnell Douglas MD80 Family ( MD-80 )

Did someone say diversity? Look at this Bad boy, a Midwestern airlines MD-80.

Midwestern airlines was based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin until it was bought out by Frontier in 2012 and the only jet they operated was the MD-80, this is one of the many liverys that can come with the IF MD-80!

Midwestern operated to destinations including the likes of Appleton, Dallas, Des Moines, and many other places across North America.

Do you love it? I do too!

Cast your vote for #TeamMD-80

5 Likes

What about modern day

9 Likes

Beautiful livery go nyoooooom

2 Likes

We got 2 votes! Thank you so much to thoose of you who voted

Will never understand how this plane was ever enjoyable in any other forms than the MD90 and 717 with the BMW engines, is was small loud and consumed so much for its size

2 Likes

The fact that it’s loud is why it’s so awesome.

Sets or apart from the planes of today with their stale, quiet engines.

2 Likes

and it’s got a T-tail, engines in the back as well (something almost every jet airliner doesn’t do)

The MD-80 does like to make its presence known to those around by letting out the great low-bypass engine noise, that i never seem to get tired of hearing

1 Like

I need this.

1 Like

It’s the new year! Do you know what that means? That’s right, (hopefully) new votes for the Maddog!

2 Likes

Spirit Airlines MD-80’s

5 Likes

This would be cool but we already have an equivalent, the 717.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. The DC-9-80 is much more history, feature, livery and diversity rich than the 717, and would generally satisfy a larger audience. Personally, I can’t wait for it to come to the sim because of the unique semi-analogue instruments in the flight deck, as shown below:

(Click photo for credit)

Besides, the 717 is in poor condition and could use a rework itself.

5 Likes

MD-80’s got a much longer fuselage, different wings, different tail, different avionics, different engines.

Vastly different than the 717.

I went over some of the same points in more detail in the DC-9 thread, but my point still stands. The two aircraft are decades apart in technology and the way they’re built, the parts they use, how efficient they are, are vastly different. Plus some variants of the MD-80 are substantially larger than the 717, so not even counting all the other details that’s already a dead giveaway that they’re not the same. It’s got JT8D engines, and the 717 has V2500’s I believe. 717 has different wings, a different tail, and a different cockpit than the MD-80, among other differences.

They’re not the same…

6 Likes

The 717 has also got noticeably less operators than either the DC-9 and MD-80 families

3 Likes

American Airlines MD-80’s at KDFW/DFW

Twitter

American Airlines MD-80s

3 Likes

Question, is the MD-90 a part of this family?

3 Likes

no, it is it’s own thing, although it is a descendant of the MD-80 just newer

5 Likes

Yup the first to offer a glass cockpit but Delta refused.

4 Likes

Screenshot 2022-03-01 10.34.11 AM
If this plane were to make it into IF, I’d probably fly it a ton…

4 Likes

Man since the E-175 is now confirmed I hope they work on the mad dog next!

4 Likes