[May be Closed] Infinite Flight Wikipedia Page? (Only FIVE sentences are on the Wiki!)

I think it need a grade requirement table?

2 Likes

You guys! I just realized this!
It needs a link to the Community!
Not sure where that would go so I’ll let someone else take care of it.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m adding all of the planes available in IF at the moment. I hope it will help others interested in purchasing Infinite Flight.

2 Likes

If you look at the French WIki page, it has a lot more info LOL.

1 Like

Is it in French Language?

1 Like

I added the The History of Infinite Flight Wiki outline. :)

3 Likes

Incase anyone sees edits from “MeesterMeesterMan,” that’s me. MrMrMan was taken 😠
@Trio History looks nice! :)

2 Likes

I suggest the Gameplay section to be amended as follows:

Infinite Flight allows players to fly in Solo and Live mode. Live mode requires a subscription and provides a live multiplayer environment with other aircrafts and air traffic controllers. IF offers three environments to fly, a Casual environment, Training and Expert environment. A large variety of aircrafts and liveries are available, as well as over 40,000 airports around the world.
Flying features include:

• aircraft, livery, airport and gate selection
  • weight of aircraft with cargo, fuel and passengers
  • aircraft lights
  • fuel burn
  • live real world weather (winds and visibility)
  • various aircraft views and (some aircrafts) extra features such as door and cargo hatch control

Air Traffic Control features include:

• Airport ATIS configuration
  • Ground control
  • Tower control
  • Approach and Departure control
8 Likes

It sounds interesting and i’m happy to contribute too when I have time. However, in my opinion don’t overload the page with too much information or go too in-depth into mechanics. Wikipedia should only be an introduction and those who are interested for more information can use the references to go to other places like here for an example. Remember, this is the general public who view this page. They won’t be interested in things like a timeline of development, or hiring of new staff etc. That stuff can be found here if they’re interested

For an idea of what i’m saying, take a look at FSX’s page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X

3 Likes

Remeber to site each portion because some revisions are being rejected. :/

5 Likes

Great idea :)

2 Likes

Great explanation, I’d love it to be added 😁

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly man XD I was just bored, and I looked up at the wiki and… Lot more content than in English lol

1 Like

So… this may take a lot more work than I originally thought. (I’ll section this post into drop-down menus to make it less confusing, but I still recommend you read every drop-down menu.)

The PROBLEM: our edits are being reverted for this reason

All edits that we’ve made to the Wiki have been reverted for this reason:
(Reverted 11 pending edits to revision 866721118 by Ravensfire: revert trivia and unsourced details pushed by fans of the game - discuss on article talk page please)

So Wikipedia doesn’t like random fans posting somewhat-biased information about IF.
I guess this process makes topics on Wikipedia more accurate… but it makes it hard for us.

The one-sentence SOLUTION

For each thing we add, it must be accompanied by a creditable source. (The source must be “verifiable” and “neutral”.)

COMPLICATION (#1)

About making edits to a Wikipedia page (straight from Wikipedia’s page, which can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Self-published_sources)…
“Readers must be able to check that any of the information within Wikipedia articles is not just made up. This means all material must be attributable to reliable, published sources. Additionally, quotations and any material challenged or likely to be challenged must be supported by inline citations.”

The problem is… there are very few non-IF-associated sources that talk about the features of IF.

COMPLICATION (#2)

Also, Wiki also apparently does NOT want us to “rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject”, or in other words, we can’t use information sourced directly from the creators of Infinite Flight.

But there is a work-around for this. The IF company is allowed to share information about themself, under the following guidelines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Self-published_sources .

All I’m saying is that our sources cannot be directly from Infinite Flight themselves. They must be sourced from other places.

Anyone have any thoughts?

1 Like

I’m willing to lend a hand on grammar checking if necessary

1 Like

Very good info here, but sounds too much like an ad. Our wiki should be more information than advertising.

2 Likes

Exactly,
Wikipedia will take down any information that seems like it purposely promotes IF.
Unbiased facts about IF are what we need.

1 Like

If I remember rightly, this has been discussed in the past. End of the day we are all to closely associated to IF to not make it bias. Whatever we do it always seems to get reverted. @Mats_Edvin_Aaro had something to do with a re write at some point?

As you sorta mentioned in the post, best option might be for Infinite Flight to do it them selves.

1 Like

Yes, but I was wondering if this could be an inspiration for IF to make the Wikipedia page themselves?
Or for the community to find a way to make it work? After all, Wikipedia is the go-to place by many for learning basic info about anything, especially since the first description you see by searching “what is Infinite Flight” on Google is the description and information from Wikipedia.
(I might even suggest making our own “Infinite Flight Wiki”, but that’s basically what IFC is.)
I’m just wondering about how it became so small after having more detail (like before). Did Wikipedia’s policies change?

I think the main problem is finding a “credible” source to cite information for the Wiki from.

By the way, do you have a link to that previous topic? I’d like to take a look.

1 Like

It’s certainly a good conversation starter to get the ball rolling 👌It would be great to have a write up that actually sticks.

As for the topic, it may have been pre ifc ( Lol, IFFG 😂What’s that) I’ll see if I can track it down on the IFC though.

Okay heres one of the attempts. More or less the same issues you have brought up

2 Likes