MaxSez: Request/Send Traffic Advisories; The Correct Thing to Do!

MaxSez: Without the benefit of ATIS or a quick look at the METAR/TAF the easiest way to identify wind directions and the active runway on a field utilizing Unicom is available in the comm menu. These comm menu items; “Request Traffic Advisories & Send Traffic Advisories” are utilitarian. The enroute Pilot send the request to his terminal airfield and any aircraft on the ground at the terminal field “Send’s” the active runway number in response. Quick & dirty, Responding to an advisory request is not mandatory but a common aviation curtesy practiced world wide. Ease your arrival workload, don’t switch to chart for the Wx, just request an advisory. Just Sayin!

16 Likes

I didn’t know what traffic advisories did, thanks for this, this really helps!

2 Likes

I still don’t understand

1 Like

When you’re flying into an uncontrolled airport, when you enter the airspace or even a little bit sooner you can radio in to the unicom and ask for traffic advisories. This is basically asking which runway is being used, and which direction the traffic pattern is operating. Most pilots on casual and TS just pick a runway and land. In real aviation there would be someone (another pilot, a line tech) to respond to you with wind, runway and pattern information. So the inverse is if you happen to be parked at the airport and you hear someone else radio in and ask for traffic advisories, in IF you get to tell them which runway is being used and which direction traffic patterns are working. If you need help with traffic patterns just search for them here on the forum and you’ll get plenty of info.

8 Likes

Thanks Max. Hopefully people will start using this. The amount of times I’m inbound and I just have to gues what they’re using is annoying.

2 Likes

MasSez: Well Done, “Do Good Work”!

3 Likes

Thanks! Now, if someone request traffic advisories, which command could I use to tell them?

2 Likes

Send traffic advisories.

3 Likes

@HairlineAirlines Yup. Simply select send traffic advisories from the main comms page and it will ask you which runway and a left or right traffic pattern. If you’re alone you get to determine this, mind the weather when you do. Obviously don’t send that the airport is using a closed (red) runway with a 30 kt crosswind. The traffic pattern is whether air traffic is going clockwise or counter clockwise in relation to the runway that you choose. Again, you get to decide unless a traffic pattern has already been established. Hope this helps and feel free to PM any other questions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.