Max's Tips; Improve your Rating and Hands On Skill Set.

Max’s Tips: Improve your Ratings & Hands On Skill Set. Fly a “Tail Dragger”! The Spit and particularly the buffed up Champ, the “Super Decathlon”, their Pilots Aeroplanes. Seat of the Pants flyin. Feel the Right prop rotation induced Vere and correct with the peddles as you get up on the step. Try some aerobatics, a Roll, Immelmann or a mile inverted will get the adrenalin flowing. Stay on the peddles in a turn and zoom, watch the inclinometer (turn/bank) in the HUD or you’ll lose it! Fly them VFR from a remote rural field. All these aircraft are unforgiving, low wing loaded and tend to stall at low altitude, low speed, and during violent maneuvers like Asian 214. Stalling is good practice, refresh your “PARE” technique! If you Master these aircraft go to the Bar and Ring the Bell, you’ve really earned a star on your Wings, you are ready to step up to Fighter ACM. Remember, anybody can Drive a Bus on cruise control…
PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE GAINED:: A Little “Winged Demon” appears hopefully centered in the vicinity of the Artificial Horizon Line, in the Center of HUD when you Lift Off and disappears when you Plant the Mains on Landing. What’s it Called? What’s it purpose in flight?
REMEMBER: Flying Proficiency Requires the ability to “Aviate, Communicate & Navigate” Fly by the Rules always File a Flight Plan. See you at 12 O’clock High. Max Sends

6 Likes

Ok. You got me convinced it is more than worth a try. Next flight will be in a “D”…

1 Like

I still have huge problems preventing a ground loop, especially in the Spitfire. I can always recover the super “D” with the rudder but as soon as I reach tye speed the tail lifts it veers to the left and remains uncontrollable until I ease the throttle downwards. This makes it impossible for me to fly on advanced… Any tips?

Try and keep the tail planted a little longer by pulling back on the stick just a little.
When the the tail lifts naturally the rudder isn’t actually affective as its not moving fast enough through the air.

Keep the tail on the ground and use the rear wheel to steer for a little bit longer, when you’re at effective rudder speed let the tail up.
You’ll probably find that your pretty much at take off speed by that point

1 Like

@Jasper… Max Sez; Sounds like to much energy on the roll. Slow and steady power increase to 50% overcome the engine rev induced verse with both aeilons & rudder, wing low in direction of the flow if it’s cross or quartering. Get upon the step.(About 30k) on the mains. Once aligned “close” to the centerline a steady increase on power till you reach V1 (+/- 90k), Rotate at 100k… Clean up.Firewall it then not on the Rwy. Give it a shot let me know if yr successful. Practice with 0 wind to get a feel for the prop Vere! Then increase wind speeds. I never fly the Spit in Cross Winds greater than 10 mph. To much hassle!

2 Likes

@Maxmustang @d3v1nO Thank you very much. I just tried it out and I’d worked a lot better. Obviously it wasn’t a nice takeoff yet but I’ll go and train a little to get to a point where I can start showing it off online. Thanks!

One more question, how would you land one? On all 3 wheels or would you touch down on two and slowly settle down?

Both work, two different schools of thought.

2 Likes

I always veer towards the left or right on takeoff in the spit, any ideas?

1 Like

look four posts up, you’ll find the answer just asked the same thing 2 hours ago. Can recommend @Maxmustang 's post

@Thomas_Galvin… It’s either the winds or the Prop induced counter rotation.
Aileron/Rudder work is the key! Spits were called Kites back in the day. Big wing, lotta surface. Watch the video series on the “D” particularly the last one that depicted the need for foot & hand coordination.

1 Like

@Jasper. Landing is really a controlled crash! Read the history of the development of tricycle gear for back ground. With a Taildragger there are 2 options a “3 Point Landing” which some prefer in light aircraft like a D or Cub etc where you reduce power as you approach and stall just above the threshold and let ground effect and gravity set you down EZ on 3 point. Normally tail first since you heave an engine heavy nose. I do that in a D if I want to clear the active fast to get to the Bar. I sit the bird Down deside the first Rwy exit. With the stall horn blaring and transition to parking. With a fast mover dragger I always tale the best option, a long final and roll out. I can but never short final any fighter except or carrier ops. With the Spit I routinely do a 2 mile final. I want to feel the wind and its effect as I chose my line. Mains down on the keys roll out and let nature be your guide. With a Taildragger you got to fly it all the way to parking and stay with it till shut down. Stuff happens with a dragger, ground loop major and minor are to be expected no matter how skilled you are if you loose focus. “Do good work” practice makes perfect. If you don’t fly a dragger often you’ll start from scratch if you let the touch elude you by complacency or loss of muscle memory! Regards Pilot.

4 Likes

Havnt been in tail dagger for a while, having read this post and thread will have to do my next flight in the “Spit” or give the Super D a spin!

thanks @Maxmustang

1 Like

Tried everything but it’s still very hard to takeoff , fly and land :(

@CaptainDawud… Mastering the D takes practice. You obviously understand the technique. I mastered the basics with the D in solo mode with 0 wind! Tail draggers on the ground are a handful in any condition you have to concentrate and “fly” them all the time. Once I got a feel with 0 wind I started increasing wind speed and changing wind direction thru 7 miles per hour on both grass and hardtop. When I was comfortable I ventured out. I have a ot of hours in a D but I still loss it on the ground on windy days. She’s an unpredictable kite on the ground. Good luck. Regards Max

1 Like

Thanks a lot Max ! I’ve been practicing with your Babee D and I’ve been quite great with her ! Your comment has also helped :) You deserve a Good peanut …

1 Like