MaxOutofthePast: (Video) Kai Tak, "Where Eagles Dare"!

7 Likes

Loved Kai Tak, such a pity to see it go. I remember seeing the iconic Concorde landing there!

It now is there in ruins, such a sad sight to see.

5 Likes

Amazing (and risky) landings!

Actually, it became a gigantic pier now, I can see it every day at school looking across the harbor. I really wish I am born a few years earlier and watch the planes in and out every day. Then I would be more than happy to go to school even with all the test I have tomorrow.

But to be fair, think of the noise pollution problem, people really suffer a lot living near the path of the approach route. Just think of how can you concentrate with a plane engines roaring so close to you for every few minutes.

2 Likes

I don’t think it was that busy.

MaxSez. Been there done that G-Man, during the 60/70’s KT was one of the bz’est Hub’s in the Far East. It was the gateway R&R center among other things, ask any VietVet

1 Like

From my limited history knowledge as a Hong Kong citizen, it actually reached its maximum capacity and operate beyond the designed capacity, that’s why we now have Chek Lap Airport.

3 Likes

@Maxmustang Thanks for clearing that up, never knew! :)

I thought it only had arrivals every 10/20 minutes or so. :)

1 Like

This is from wiki "The airport was designed to handle 24 million passengers per year, but in 1996, Kai Tak handled 29.5 million passengers, plus 1.56 million tonnes of freight, making it the third busiest airport in the world in terms of international passenger traffic, and busiest in terms of international cargo throughput."
And our government website “http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/kaitak.html

2 Likes

Is that Jürgen Raps, german aviation legend?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.