MaxOutofthePast: Beechcraft Mod-17S (Staggerwing) ( 2013 Selected as 1 of 10 all time favorites-Plane & Pilot Mag)

IMG_0635
(Photo: Public Domaine)

MaxSez: Here’s a world class candidate for inclusion into the IF Inventory.
A Bendix and Harman Trophy winner, Selected among the top 10 Favorites by the Aviation History Journal in 2010 and number 1 all time favorites by Plane & Pilot Magazine in 2013. This unique stagger wing bi-plane has and still flys all over the world in it civilian suit. An Air Show Favorite. (it reclaimed its trophy fame as a military courier/liaison craft by the US & allied forces in all theaters during WWll.). If your a skilled GA operator this unique Staggered Wing, Tail Dragging, Modified Bi-Plane, Cadillac of the Air, is what flying is all about. GA-All-The-Way!

Specifications (Beech Model D17S)

Beechcraft Model 17DS was designated YC-43 by the US Army Air Corps.

General characteristics
Crew: one
Capacity: three passengers
Payload: 125 lb (56.7 kg) of baggage
Length: 26 ft 10 in (8.18 m)
Wingspan: 32 ft (9.75 m)
Height: 8 ft (2.44 m)
Wing area: 296.5 ft² (27.55 m²)
Empty weight: 2,540 lb (1,150 kg)
Loaded weight: 4,250 lb (1,930 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-1 “Wasp Junior” radial engine, 450 hp (340 kW) at 2,300 rpm
Performance
Maximum speed: 212 mph (184 knots, 341 km/h)
Cruise speed: 202 mph (176 knots, 325 km/h)
Range: 582 nm (670 mi, 1,078 km)
Service ceiling: 25,000 ft (7,600 m)
Rate of climb: 1,500 ft/min (7.6 m/s)
Wing loading: 14.3 lb/ft² (70.0 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 9.44 lb/hp (5.68 kg/kW)

*****Anybody know the history of the “Wasp” or “Junior Wasp” radial?

I do notice that there is a link depicted within the image but, would you be able to provide a physical link as well? It would be highly recommended to vote for your own personal #features request as well ;)

2 Likes

Another vote for you Max. Great thread. I really love the design if this aircraft. I desperately want to fly on one!

2 Likes

Man I’d love to see this aircraft. Distinctive and beautiful design - particular fan of the red colour

2 Likes

Is it just me or does it look like a modern version of a crop duster?

IMG_1853

3 Likes

@Blizzard. MaxSez: The issue of photo credit has been beaten to death here. It was last addressed 2 days ago. Your take on attribution is not IAW Copyright Law as noted here repeatedly. Suggest you contact Moderator Carson by PM he addressed this issue recently. (Had to move votes, 1 Step at a time)

1 Like

@Darth_Sidious. MaxSez: No the “AgCat” (was Tractor) has a standard Bi-Plane configuration. The 17S is unique American design. Soviet era Russian design look almost alike Bi is still around, see if you can ID it, NKorea has hundred!

Aircraft type noted by @American232 corrected.

3 Likes

Not even close, those AG-CATs are still in use today for the farming industry and forest fire service and the Beechcraft is a civilian and air show favorite as Max explained in his request.

3 Likes

I have a model of this in my room. It’s a very eye-catching aircraft and it’s definitely one of my favorite GA aircraft. It has my vote;-)

2 Likes

@American232… MaxSez: Got me. AgCat not AirTractor. Brain Fart, Bi vs Low Wing… How the devil did I miss that one. I owe you. Regards

2 Likes

Also the Staggering is older than the AgCat.

@Maxmustang I love this thing. It’s been a favorite of mine for so many years.

1 Like

@Rodney_Buckland… Noted Rod. Glad you lov it, where’s the vote? Regards, Max

MaxSez: answer to Darth comment; AN-2 Colt.

Out of votes rn. Looking through history to see it I can remove one

2 Likes

I got to sit in one of these at a flight museum in Dallas. It’s as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside. You have my vote.

2 Likes

I would totally give this a vote but all out of votes

N881RA. MaxSez: what are you waiting for swap a vote. Remove one in profile vote history, reuse it here. Every vote counts. Regards

@Maxmustang. Voted for ya and in hopes it gets added

2 Likes

Imagine just flying this down low through the countryside 😍. Cruise along the Mississippi, through the Seattle mountains, above new England, or in the Scottish island. Take things slower instead of thes 500knot jets.

1 Like