MaxFledglingFacts: EZ, Descent Rates (-VS)Calculator (Bonus: 1:Precision Descent Profile Calculator) 2: Video 3deg VS Calculations

MaxSez: Flyin is not for mental midgets it takes technical knowledge and skill. Put this data too use in your Flight Planning and fly like a pro;

If you’re flying a 90-knot approach speed on a -3 degree glideslope, you’ll need to descend at roughly 450FPM (-VS) to maintain the glide-slope!
How did we come up with that?
There’s 2 pretty easy rule-of-thumb’s to figure that approximate descent rate out;
(1) Divide your ground speed by 2, then add a 0 to the end. So if you take 90 knots / 2, you get 45. Add a zero to the end, and you get 450 FPM (-VS) approximate descent rate for a -3 degree Glide-Slope.
(2) Another way to approximate this; Multiply your ground speed,90 Knots X 5 =450 FPM (-VS) you’ll get an approximate descent rate for a -3 degree Glide-Slope with this one to.
BONUS 1; TOD Calculator:
http://aerotexas.com/desplan/desplan.php
BONUS 2; Video: 3Deg Glide Scope VS Calculation: (+Tail/Headwind Formula)

Regards All, MaxSends

SUGGEST BOOK MARK

6 Likes

awesome. I am about to fly a RNAV GPS with a 3 degree glide path so thank you very much! Perfect

Also what that mean i would need to use the LNAV/VNAV minimum instead? @Maxmustang

1 Like

@DimitriB. MaxSez: RNav is GPS, Same olde, Same Olde…
MaxSends

or is VNAV only when there is a runway fix

@DimitriB… MaxSez: Your Good to go RNav… just no vertical guidance. Max

1 Like

so should i just fly the GP manually using the Artificial Horizon?
and use the calculation for ILS?

1 Like

@DimitriB… MaxSez: Read up on different nav types on the Tutorials or Google. RNav, VNav ect have unique characteristics.
Best to understand the theory before you apply it . Max

1 Like

@DimitriB. MaxSez: Select the best nav type option based on yr plan, aircraft type, met conditions (IMC or VMC) and type recovery: Visual or Instrument (ILS).
Max

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.