MaxFavorite: JU-52. (Fly a Relic ). Revised from 2016

(Not a Dup, a Revision of a 2016 Feature)

IMG_0620

Junkers Ju 52/3m ce
General characteristics

Crew: two
Capacity: 17 passengers
Length: 18.90 m ()
Wingspan: 29.25 m ()
Height: 6.10 m ()
Wing area: 110.5 m² ()
Empty weight: 5,970 kg (13,180 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 9,210 kg (20,330 lb)
Powerplant: 3 × BMW Hornet A2, 386 kW (525 PS) each
Performance

Maximum speed: 271 km/h (168 mph) at 900 m
Cruise speed: 222 km/h (138 mph)
Range: 950 km (590 mi)
Service ceiling: 5,200 m (17,050 ft)
Rate of climb: 3.90 m/s ()
Wing loading: 83.35 kg/m² ()
Power/mass: 7.95 kg/kW (5.85 kg/PS)

MaxSez: Lets go back to our roots in the inventory. This craft like its American Sister, The “Ford Tri-Motor” flew some of the first of millions of commercial airline flight back in the day. The Ford still operates as an air tour craft on Cape Cod, MA periodically and the 52, nicknamed “Auntie Ju” is Lufthansa’s mascot, she ceased tour operation in Germany recently. Fly a legend give it a vote for old time sake!

Got my vote. I would love at least one ole old bird. Could see myself flying this around East Africa or something fun.

8 Likes

I love these triple prop designs like the Tri Motor and the Fokker F.VII. I actually got to ride in the Tri Motor a few years back. Those old larger tail draggers seem like a chore to taxi around.

2 Likes

Interesting aircraft but still not sure on whether to vote or not.

1 Like

@Ryan_Farell… Decisions, Decisions! This is not a difficult one Ryan. A Classic Tail Dragging Twin Reciprocator, with an “Auntie Ju” suit. Let give the developers and the “Aviators” on this platform a real challenge. Build it with a 6 pack of Steam Gage’s (No HUD) and an out of sinc engine growl plus a few corrugated aluminum flutters. Let separate the men from the boys. Build it they will come!

1 Like

Umm… I am personally a fan of old vintage aircraft being added to IF but this is more like a cardboard box… (No offense, just my opinion)

1 Like