MaxFavorite: E-2 B/C. Hawkeye; The US Fleets Eye in the Sky

MaxSez: Among other things this Carrier Battle Group’s eye in the sky is a major link in the Naval Tactical Data Link (NTDS) it provides command and control and early warning for the Groups which includes; Radar Targeting and Vectoring for the Fighter CAP and Ready Launch Fighting Pair, coordinates air defense weaponry via voice and data link plus long range targeting for airborne & surface threats. Old Crows call this command bird “Elmer Fudd”
She fits right into the IF inventory is an ideal companion of a F/A-18 or F-16 Alfa Strike Package. (Unable (a Magic word) to vote, No votes left or retrievable)

Specifications (E-2C/D) Edit

E-2C Hawkeye 0014.svg
Data from US Navy fact file[79] E-2D Storybook (page 25)[80]
General characteristics

Crew: Five: Pilot, Copilot, Radar Officer (RO), Combat Information Center Officer (CICO), Aircraft Control Officer (ACO)
Length: 57 ft 8.75 in (17.60 m)
Wingspan: 80 ft 7 in (24.56 m)
Height: 18 ft 3.75 in (5.58 m)
Wing area: 700 ft2[81] (65 m2)
Aspect ratio: 9.15
Empty weight: 40,200 lb (18,090 kg)
Loaded weight: 43,068 lb (19,536 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 57,500 lb (26,083 kg)
Powerplant: 2 × Allison / Rolls-Royce T56-A-427 (E-2C), T56-A-427A (E-2D) turboprop, 5,100 shp (3,800 kW) each
Performance

Maximum speed: 350 knots (648 km/h or 402 MPH)
Cruise speed: 256 knots (474 km/h or 294 MPH)
Ferry range: 1,462 nmi (2,708 km or 1,682 mi)
Endurance: 6 hr
Service ceiling: 34,700 ft (10,576 m)
Wing loading: 72.7 lb/ft2 (355 kg/m2)
Power/mass: 0.19 hp/lb (0.32 kW/kg)
Avionics
AN/APS-145 Radar, OL-483/AP IFF interrogator system, APX-100 IFF Transponder, OL-698/ASQ Tactical Computer Group, AN/ARC-182 UHF/VHF radio, AN/ARC-158 UHF radio, AN/ARQ-34 HF radio, AN/USC-42 Mini-DAMA SATCOM system

(Source: Data: Wiki Photo: USN/Public Domaine)

NOTE: IFATC’s. wanna Control & Fly; Join the USN strike for an ACO position, control the shooters, great sport!; see crew list)

First reply:

Would be cool to see these flying out of KNUC instead of A380s’

For realism’s sake.

4 Likes

I would prefer the greyhound.

@Marsiana7. MaxSez: “Grayhound’s” are Trash Haulers. I class them with airliners, just a logistic link. We have enough “Busses” in the inventory. You’d get a no vote from me. Regards

1 Like

Yeah because there are so many uses for an aircraft like the hawkeye even if we could use those abilities -.-

2 Likes

Wow, I’d love to see this when we have start/stop. Those engines are beautiful.

1 Like

The E-2 is awesome & yes I agree that while the C-2 and E-2 are brothers they’re both completely different. You completely have my vote!

A cool idea would be for some IFATC controllers to be able to monitor the airspace from an E-2 while a lucky pilot flies them around lol.

1 Like

Great idea, would be immense to see this and the E3 doing some rounds - we would definitely need some upgraded autopilot to hold orbits though, and for FDS to implement individual radars instead of the gods eye view of everything in the sky!

P.S - a nightmare to work with in real life! Haha
P.S.S - I’ll vote once one frees up, they’re all committed to realism at the moment!

2 Likes

Yes please! I’d love to cruise around in one of these babies

2 Likes

Why is the E-2 a nightmare to work with in real life?